Cable TV static while fan is running

Started by Paul, July 09, 2015, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I am at a seasonal campsite with cable TV hookup. When watching the TV the picture is good but when I start any of my vents fan there is some static in the screen and the image quality goes down. This only happens with the vents fan ON this is really weird! When I put the fan OFF the picture quality is back to normal
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

Here are a few ideas. but I have no direct experience with this problem. I assume you have a modern HD television and a digital signal from the campground cable running through standard 75 ohm coax with F-type connectors. The motors in the fans are probably causing radio frequency interference that's getting into the TV signal. Start with making sure all the cable connections are tight.  Then try plugging the television power cord into a different circuit in the camper. Then put a clamp-on noise suppressor on the television power cord at the plug.  Then try plugging the television and the cable into a noise-suppression surge protector. Then try bringing the campground cable directly to the back of the television, by-passing all the cable wiring in the camper. Then try a different television. Then replace the vent fans. Then give up, turn off the television, and go for a walk. That's it from me; that's all I got.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MD2-C-Outlet-Direct-Plug-/dp/B003GSLLDI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436561633&sr=8-6&keywords=tv+signal+noise+suppressor

http://www.amazon.com/UF-50B-Noise-Suppressor-Ferrite-Filters/dp/B009ENG6TI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436561714&sr=8-1&keywords=ferrite+choke+filter

Michigan

Paul

Hi Merlin, the cable at the campground is analog, it was digital and we had digital box and I had no problem with my vent doing interference, some camper had problem with the digital box so the campground owner with the help of the cable company installed something to convert the entire campground to analog so we don't need digital box anymore, the picture is clear without the vent running but when it run there is some interference. I wish they had kept it digital! I have ordered the second item you listed since it was cheap and I'll give that a try!

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

Back to analog!? Do they realize it's 2015!? What a hoot! Didn't they get bunches of complaints from folks with nice HD televisions that now have to view things low res "old school". Oh well, it's camping. Anyway, an analog signal is very different and open to lots of interference that digital is not, including the motors. Those cable clamps may help.
Michigan

DavidM

Paul:

Here is a quick and dirty possible fix

Go to Radio Shack (well they folded, so any electronics shop will do or on line) and buy a .01 to .1 uf capacitor. It will be about the diameter of a nickle with two bare wires coming out of the sides like this: http://www.amazon.com/0-01uF-Voltage-Ceramic-Disc-Capacitors/dp/B008DFE7YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436622371&sr=8-1&keywords=01+uf+capacitor

Connect the wires to the pos and neg terminals of the fan.

The capacitor won't be affected by DC but will absorb any AC rf interference that the fan motor makes.

Give it a try, it might work.

David

Paul

Quote from: Merlin on July 10, 2015, 09:20:02 PM
Back to analog!? Do they realize it's 2015!? What a hoot! Didn't they get bunches of complaints from folks with nice HD televisions that now have to view things low res "old school". Oh well, it's camping. Anyway, an analog signal is very different and open to lots of interference that digital is not, including the motors. Those cable clamps may help.

Yes I know and everyone that had Internet provided by that cable company can't no longer have it they had to switch to a different carrier and most have to wait for over 2 weeks to get internet back! I am just using the campground free Wi-Fi but it's not very good. I guess the reason why they switched to analog was because if you came to the campground for the weekend or a week it was too much trouble to get a digital box and with analog you can only scan the channels but it's not fun for the seasonal campers ;)

Also when I charge my cell phone in the USB outlet I also get a bit of static, but less than the vent fan.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Paul

Quote from: DavidM on July 11, 2015, 10:44:44 AM
Paul:

Here is a quick and dirty possible fix

Go to Radio Shack (well they folded, so any electronics shop will do or on line) and buy a .01 to .1 uf capacitor. It will be about the diameter of a nickle with two bare wires coming out of the sides like this: http://www.amazon.com/0-01uF-Voltage-Ceramic-Disc-Capacitors/dp/B008DFE7YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436622371&sr=8-1&keywords=01+uf+capacitor

Connect the wires to the pos and neg terminals of the fan.

The capacitor won't be affected by DC but will absorb any AC rf interference that the fan motor makes.

Give it a try, it might work.

David

Hi David, thank you for your suggestion!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS