If Livin Lite is closed...does it matter?

Started by derelict, February 21, 2018, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derelict

Thanks for the places to look. I am coming down with something (I am a teacher so it is an occupational hazard) but am hoping that I can get to the dealer tomorrow to check out the 11.

As for why worry, I am not too terribly concerned with the build. I have machines/ equipment and can repair most things. I am more concerned about structural things. If this is not a long lasting trailer, I am not really interested in having one made by a company no longer around. That is when it becomes a problem for me. I want to be able to acquire spares, if specific ones are needed, from the OEM. If the fridge dies in 3 years, I am not worried as that is easily replaceable and generic.

I am looking for one with the 'off road' package, which this does not have. I read in a different thread that it is just a bolt on axle from a different manufacturer with a different drop angle? So, I can create my own 'off road' package? This will travel down fire roads as well as smooth KOA type sites.

Capt J-rod

I am with pin striper, most warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on. When Tuttle owned the company and his name was the reputation he went above and beyond to prove his product. Dan Miller fought to keep that going through the merger(s). Our campers design and materials are the warranty. Now as for the components like appliances and such? That is usually handled through the item's mfg. I was seriously going to build my next trailer until I discovered camplite. They did a way better job and I was impressed. Is it exactly what I would have done? No. Did they think of a lot of things that I never would have? yes. Every trailer is give and take. I think they gave us way more than any other mfg would have in the industry. Back to the warranty, In my 2015, everything is accessible through raceways as far as wiring goes. Plumbing is accessible, hell even the marker lights are reachable. Other builders put these things in the wall and when they are dead then you are screwed. Also remember the warranty is as good as the dealer you buy from. As these trailers become more scarce you will have to go further to buy one. The further you go the less access you have to the dealer.

ADR

Quote from: Capt J-rod on February 23, 2018, 10:24:23 AM
most warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Exactly!  It has been said Thor will honor the warranty.
How?   Most dealers will not work on a unit they did not sell.   
I cannot see a dealer that sells other Thor products stepping up to handle Livin Lite warranty issues since most are so backed up with the units they DID sell they have no reason to ask for additional work.
I doubt it is written in dealer contracts that Thor can FORCE them to do warranty work on units they didn't sell. 
Even if Thor did force them do you really want a guy working on your unit that is upset at having to do so?  It is extremely difficult, in my experience, to get quality work done even if they want the business.

Pinstriper

Quote from: derelict on February 23, 2018, 10:08:44 AM
Thanks for the places to look. I am coming down with something (I am a teacher so it is an occupational hazard) but am hoping that I can get to the dealer tomorrow to check out the 11.

As for why worry, I am not too terribly concerned with the build. I have machines/ equipment and can repair most things. I am more concerned about structural things. If this is not a long lasting trailer, I am not really interested in having one made by a company no longer around. That is when it becomes a problem for me. I want to be able to acquire spares, if specific ones are needed, from the OEM. If the fridge dies in 3 years, I am not worried as that is easily replaceable and generic.

Spares ? Spares for what ?

"I need a 4' section of 1x1 square aluminum tube".

These are not mass produced, they are hand built one at a time from a blueprint.

Even under the warranty, LL didn't ship such parts to the dealer.

If you have a structural problem, you will be searching for an RV repair shop that is capable of working with aluminum, and possibly a metal fab shop as well.

DavidM

Let me offer a boating analogy that may or may not explain the spare part question. For boats the only thing that the builder actually makes in its shop with its own labor is the fiberglass hull and the cabinetry. These are produced from polyester resin, glass and wood. EVERYTHING else is purchased from a supplier and installed, bolted together and wired by the builder.

A future owner can also purchase these items and have them replaced/installed by anyone with the skills to do it. Even the fiberglass hull can be fixed by any skilled fiberglass guy with polyester resin and glass that he buys.

A LL is built the same way. The frame is fabricated from standard aluminum sections. The aluminum skin is cut and screwed to the frame or the fiberglass skin is layed up and installed. The interior cabinetry is fabricated from Aluminum tubing, Azdel paneling and hardware. It all can be rebuilt by a competent craftsman.

So don't worry about spare parts. There is nothing unique to LL. Yes some are rather special like the German windows but as long as that German supplier stays in business anyone can buy from them or their US dealer.

David

pjcd

What real difference does it all make, Thor will or will not stand behind their product, anyone who is denied coverage will no doubt inform the forum.  That being said, LL was a good product, they had their issues and stood behind the product when problems needed to be solved, I'm still happy with the camper in spite of those problems and once the product strayed from the original concept, I was no longer interested in them.

graham

I wouldn't let the lack of manufacturer support bother me one bit if looking at buying a Livin Lite. It's not at all like buying a car where most of the components are specific to your particular model or manufacturer. With an RV nearly everything except the frame is supplied by another vendor and often has its own warranty and parts supply chain. And most warranty issues are best taken care of yourself anyways, since RV dealer service departments are some of the worst places on earth with horrible customer service.

ADR

Manufacturer support can be very important- case in point>  my slide out issue with the opening being made too small.
The cost to correct this, last I heard was near $1700 - to be paid by Livin Lite.   Livin Lite made the repair facility jump through a bunch of hoops by first disputing the opening could be too small. 
Yet Thursday- finally after 6 weeks - they had the slideout removed and were beginning to enlarge the opening.

I do agree many small issues I've always taken care of, its easier and quicker,  in fact thinking about it I have never had an RV of 14  I've owned worked on at a dealer!  Until this slide issue which was a biggy.
If push had come to shove I could have fixed it too and would have if I had to pay $1700 out of pocket!

DavidM

All true. But you can certainly find all of those things during the two year warranty period and get them fixed either by LL or an independent RV repair facility. Thor will stand by the LL warranty even after LL stops producing. LL isn't going bankrupt or anything to liquidate those liabilities, are they?

And after the warranty period expires, who cares.

David

ADR

I'm not saying Thor will not honor the warranty I'm just saying it will be difficult in most cases.
If I had to wait 6 months for LL themselves to repair my issue, which is what they told me,  I would have just dug in and done it rather than giving up 6 months of use..

BTW the repair place that is doing my work has units that have been sitting there for 9 months waiting on parts from Forest River!

derelict

Much like the slide out issue, since the version that I am looking at, the 11 (does it really only weigh in at 1900?), has the tip out tent/ sleeping space, I am worried about issues with that. This is my front runner right now. 

Steve Sanders

I think the tip out beds are the same as the beds on the Quicksilver pop-ups. If so, and Thor hasn't changed them, there's not much to be concerned about. They are quite sturdy and piano-hinged to the body of the camper. The tent is probably made by Top Stitch and should be available from them indefinitely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ADR

Best thing anyone can do is thoroughly check out your new unit before leaving the dealer lot.
I didn't get to do that- it was 20F with a snow storm due to arrive in minutes.   
I gave it a cursory look and hit the road.
My original plan was to stay overnight in it at the WalMart 1/2 mi away.    I realized I might be stuck there for days if I had...so I didn't.

Of course if I had noticed the slide issue that would have provided quite a conundrum - do I refuse the unit after driving 1100 miles to get it? 

gcamp

Orrrrr, consider intech Luna instead. Looks like this is where Scott T is now working

tco2612

or consider a well kept used unit when it was still all aluminum with no build issues.