electric brakes

Started by steve441, October 21, 2015, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve441

i just got a 13 bhb do i really need brake assist a freand of mine has a 21 ft he says he never uses his

Paul

Hi Steve441, Welcome to the forum! I have a 13QBB and I do use the electric brake and I feel that they are needed. Loaded my trailer probably weight close to 3000lbs and I don't think my escape can manage to stop that load easily and safely. There was one time I had forgotten to plug my electric brake and at a stop sign I could feel the difference and had a harder time to stop. Please be safe and use your electrical brake, also you should tell your friend he should also be using his electrical brake.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Welcome Steve!

I tow a CampLite 11 and have had two emergency stop situations, if I did not have trailer brakes, probably would have had a accident.

Installed tow hitch, 7 pin connector, and brake controller on my Frontier in one afternoon. It's working great, too!

http://livinliteforum.com/index.php/topic,40.0.html
Bill

rideandfly

Here's a site with trailer laws:

http://trailers.com/state-laws/

Here's what they say about North Carolina requirements where I live:

"North Carolina Trailer Brake Laws"

"Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle of at least 4,000 lbs., and every house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs., shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle". 
Bill

steve441

:) thanks for your imput i just sold my t@b { great little camper} never new it was behind me ! and up graded.  i  am picking up my new BHB 16 from rockford ill this sat they said i had to have break assist to take it off  the lot it was the law in Ill  then said they could install it for 325.00 so i just had my toyota dealer do install for 198.00 . toyota guy said he didnt have break assist eather so i began to wonder so i thought to ask you guys . Been waiting 2 months {thats 4 months in camping time} for my bhb to get build cant wait  thanks

rideandfly

Steve,

Congrats on your new Travel Trailer!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to see photos when you can post some!  :)
Bill

Paul

Congrats! Post pictures when you get your trailer!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

DavidM

Steve:

You tow with a Tundra right? The curb weight is about 4,000 lbs. My personal rule of thumb is that if the trailer weighs more than 50% of the TV, then you need brakes. Here is some rough math. Most TVs stop at 0.8 Gs, ie 0.8*32 = 26 ft/s/s. With an additional 50% trailer weight with no brakes, the package will stop at about 17 ft/s/s. That difference might be enough to cause an accident.

Unless your friend tows his 21 with a commercial truck with a curb weight of about 8,000 lbs, he also needs trailer brakes.

David

Merlin

Absolutely use trailer brakes. Not every emergency stop is a nice straight line and trailer brakes will prevent jack-knifing. They also reduce wear on the tow vehicle brakes, reduce tow ehicle brake heat build-up going downhill, and use of the manual feature on the brake controller will control sway from a sudden manouver or wind blast.
Michigan

steve441

Just picked up my new 13 BHB 2016 from Sunny Island rv ,ILL , Keith was my sales guy , Nice Guy ! then drove back  with my electric  brakes ,worked  great !  Camped at Mark Twain camp ground in Hannibal mo . Great Camp ground  Amenities include a store , restaurant , Full hookups ,Two Caves, play grounds ,and a winery, yes a winery in the camp ground. Now i am in customizing mode
for the BHB , shelves, wine rack 7 in foam, rugs , exspresso machine, neon light, ext so i will be swithing to the modifcation page and post pictures thanks for your help
steve

Paul

Quote from: steve441 on October 27, 2015, 12:40:31 PM
Just picked up my new 13 BHB 2016 from Sunny Island rv ,ILL , Keith was my sales guy , Nice Guy ! then drove back  with my electric  brakes ,worked  great !  Camped at Mark Twain camp ground in Hannibal mo . Great Camp ground  Amenities include a store , restaurant , Full hookups ,Two Caves, play grounds ,and a winery, yes a winery in the camp ground. Now i am in customizing mode
for the BHB , shelves, wine rack 7 in foam, rugs , exspresso machine, neon light, ext so i will be swithing to the modifcation page and post pictures thanks for your help
steve

Congrats and looking forward to see your pictures!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Steve,

Congrats on your new 13BHB!!!!!!

Been talking to Keith about a Toy Hauler, but just talk so far!!!!

We stayed @ Mark Twain campground during September, nice campground!!!!

Bill

steve441

I haven't stayed at mark twain state park yet . we stayed at mark twain cave and campground. this weekend we are staying at Babler state park in st Louis its a great park for a quick run to st Louis, st peters city rv park is great as well.
On the toyhaulers you might think of getting a price on ordering one just the way you want it option wise from livin lite . { if your in no hurry} that's what I did I paid $2000 less than the prices I was quoted on trailers around Mo . that's why I went to sunny island Keith Recommend that I might as well get exactly what I want instead of settling on close the only thing I wish that livin lite offered is
up grades on fans , appliances , on access panels I would of paid extra for them

rideandfly

My mistake on the campgrounds!

Thanks for the advice, no hurry here ordering the Toy Hauler! Plan to order probably from Keith.

Have a great camping trip!
Bill