Roof leak and removing sealant questions

Started by Fatdog2, May 19, 2019, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

My 21BHS has a roof leak at the center area above the left front window. The water was coming out of the area where the electrical wires run up into the ceiling and I found it was coming out of the valance center mounting hole, so it seeped into the wall too. I was going to use a putty knife and check the condition of the roof sealant, and remove an loose gray sealant. If anyone has any recommendations on how to reseal the roof let me know. I think the wall will dry out from summer heat and it's foam core so shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks. Peter

MitchB

I'd use Dicor sealing caulk. Since it's the roof probably leveling type but others may have a better idea on the type.
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

nhlakes

Quote from: Fatdog2 on May 19, 2019, 10:11:47 PM
My 21BHS has a roof leak at the center area above the left front window. The water was coming out of the area where the electrical wires run up into the ceiling and I found it was coming out of the valance center mounting hole, so it seeped into the wall too. I was going to use a putty knife and check the condition of the roof sealant, and remove an loose gray sealant. If anyone has any recommendations on how to reseal the roof let me know. I think the wall will dry out from summer heat and it's foam core so shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks. Peter

what year trailer, alum roof or rubber roof?

Fatdog2

It's a 2014 Aluminum skin roof. I had to fix the front corner last year, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet hopefully tomorrow to see what's going on. Water can find it's way thought the smallest of holes. It started from the A/C condensate draining on the roof and it would run over the edge at the window.

keeena

+1 on the Dicor self-leveling sealant. I used this stuff when installing MaxAir vent covers. You have to remove sealant to expose some of the fan mounting screws in order to re-purpose for the cover's mount.

Removing the sealant isn't too difficult. I think I just used a razor blade scraper (very gently)...first made cuts straight down into it to create the chunk you want to remove and then scrape between it and the roof. CAREFULLY.

My 2015 VRV also has the aluminum roof and it looks like the Dicor is the same stuff used by the factory.

Fatdog2

An update and what I found. The sealant was probably 5 years old and the other edges dried and dusty and easily lifted off the aluminum roof and trim.  I was using a plastic scraper. The center was soft and pliable still. I found the self leveling Dicor was a little too thin to get a nice build up of sealant where the black 90 degree trim and roof met. While the non-leveling, non-sag has a thicker consistency and fills in nicely and covers the screw heads better. It still levels out and you just want to squeeze the caulking gun slowly and let it flow out as you move along the roof and or vent area. I re-sealled the entire roof all the vents and tank vents and antenna. I think depending on weather and UV every 4 years for replacing the roof caulking where I live in NE North Carolina. Last year I noticed more chalkiness  on the Dicor sealant and when it starts to do that it lost some of it's stickiness to the aluminum roof.