Hot Water Heater

Started by Merlin, October 22, 2017, 10:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrampaKilt

Recently, I purchased a HOTT electrode for my Suburban HWT as well as a new switch plate that includes an electric toggle. (Both ordered from Camper's World.) Since the new switch plate only had an indicator (reset) light for the gas, I removed the indicator light from the old switch plate and fitted it into the new, wiring it to the electric switch.

Because the HOTT electrode only takes 4 amps, I took power from a nearby plug and added a new outlet in the water enclosure. This plug is controlled by the 12V electric switch via a relay. Though we didn't demand hot water immediately after connecting to shore power, we always had enough. Since the HOTT electrode comes with an adjustable thermostat, one can mimic what Charliem mentioned for adequate hot water during heavy usage--activate both the gas and the electric, but set the electric thermostat higher than the gas.

Also seen in the photo is another recent mod, Garnet tank sensors. GK

charliem

If you did it right you're really going to like the SeeLevel monitor. Much better than the 4 light idiot panel found in most other campers.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller