battery upgrade questions

Started by Gary M, May 05, 2018, 05:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

Well, there is something else you can do that doesn't require running your generator. It takes some wiring skill and electrical sense, but you seem to have both. You almost certainly will drive places while you spend 30 days in one campground. So charge your batteries while you drive.

Make up a short cord with alligator clips on one end and a male round trailer plug on the other. Then take two of your 6V batteries with you in the bed of the truck. Hook up the cable. Then the batteries will get charged while you drive. Then the next longish trip do the same with the other pair (or not if you stick with two).

The trailer connector will charge the batteries at 15-20 amps while driving.

David

Gary M

Good idea David! I verified with my kilowatt meter that the new Cotek charger only draws 6.83a when charging at its max 50a. That's pretty darn efficient if you ask me! I was able to run all kinds of other stuff at the same as the charger with my single honda 2200i generator in eco mode.

I'm still planning on adding 2 more batteries after i get this plumbing fiasco squared away. Still waiting on parts to get delivered.

GrampaKilt

I've been avoiding battery and battery charging discussions like the plague. However, I suspect it's an area of knowledge that is unavoidable if I want to improve my 14DB.

According to electrical inspectors, I do excellent work as a non-professional doing my own house wiring, the realm of AC. I learned basic VDC as a child, but am I ever being schooled in the battery world! It will take some background study to fully understand the issues being addressed in this thread.

Naïve I was entering the RV world, especially the TT side. I was shocked by the dogma surrounding TVs, especially on this side of the pond. Once almost beyond criticism, my current thinking is that LL, pre-Thor no less, could've done much better. And what about absorption fridges that don't work well in hot weather? Duh! Now I find out that LL (and probably all other manufacturers) do the minimum regarding effective management of battery energy. What's the next surprise?

Post-script: After some research, I understand most of this thread. (It's somewhat of a relief that my mind still works!) Now to convince my LSW about the need for double 6V batteries. GW

Gary M

Do it GK 👍🏻. I find myself with an over abundance of battery power now, and I'm just looking for more things to power and spend those amp hours on. Possibly stereo upgrade next. I power a lot of stuff already, CPAP, fans, radio 24/7, TV, kids charging iPads, and I even leave the blue LED lighting on at night just because it looks cool. I can be as carefree as I want, and my generator/Cotek charger brings the batteries back up fast. No regrets on my upgrade, and my batteries are no longer my weakest link. Now it's freshwater limiting my time... I'm looking into squeezing a bigger FW tank underneath next.

GrampaKilt

When do you sleep, Gary M?

Speaking of water, just ordered a 2 gal accumulator tank. https://www.ebay.com/itm/361337105543

When my spouse visits the loo at night, it's not the crawling over me that wakes me up, it's the annoying pump sound below my pillow. Is this, too, on your list? GK

Gary M

It's only 8:45pm here on the west coast :)
My pump is at the other end of the trailer under the bunk so I don't hear it that bad at night. It was pretty loud at first and I noticed it was due to the pex tubing vibrating against the hole in the wall that it passes through. I just wedged some foam around it and problem solved. Much quieter now.

You could go this route as well if you want complete silence.. (see photo 😂).

nhlakes

Quote from: Gary M on July 19, 2018, 11:54:23 PMNow it's freshwater limiting my time... I'm looking into squeezing a bigger FW tank underneath next.

Gary, You have a truck, why not just stick a few water jugs in there?  I keep an empty 7 gal jug in my front storage for extra water while boondocking, but have not boondocked enough to need it. ;)

https://www.rei.com/product/618168/reliance-aqua-tainer-7-gal

ADR

Quote from: Gary M on July 20, 2018, 12:50:47 AM

My pump is at the other end of the trailer under the bunk so I don't hear it that bad at night. It was pretty loud at first and I noticed it was due to the pex tubing vibrating against the hole in the wall that it passes through. I just wedged some foam around it and problem solved. Much quieter now.

The moron that mounted the pump in my 16TBS actually had the end of it resting against the sq Al tubing under the bunk, what a racket it made! :-\

Pulled the screws, moved it back a 1/4"- problem solved.    Careless mistakes that should never happen in the factory.

Steve Sanders

Remembering Ford's old slogan of "Quality is job 1" tells a lot about the reality of manufacturing. They didn't say "Perfection is job 1".  Their goal is to produce a quality product at an affordable price. I think LL did that very well. Two companies that I think of that tried harder for perfection were Rolls-Royce and Waterford Crystal. I would rather not pay for perfection.

I don't think any of us can honestly say that everything that we have done in our work lives would earn an "A". That's just part of being human.

The only person that will do anything to your standard is you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gary M

Quote from: nhlakes on July 20, 2018, 07:12:01 AM
Gary, You have a truck, why not just stick a few water jugs in there?  I keep an empty 7 gal jug in my front storage for extra water while boondocking, but have not boondocked enough to need it. ;)

https://www.rei.com/product/618168/reliance-aqua-tainer-7-gal

My FW tank sags really bad between the 2 support braces they used. The 26 gallon tank only holds 18 gallons of useable water because of the sag(confirmed with bucket testing). Instead of just fabricating new aluminum braces for the existing tank, I'm going to try and fit a bigger tank in there since I need the new braces made anyways.

ameri-kart.com makes tanks in all sorts of shapes of sizes, I just need to get under there and measure. I'm hoping to be able to fit a 40-50 gallon tank, but I would be happy with even a 30 if that's all that can fit.

Sure I could carry extra water jugs, and i do on long trips.. but an 18 gallon tank just isn't acceptable to me on a $30k TT.

ADR

Quote from: Steve Sanders on July 20, 2018, 09:50:51 AM
Remembering Ford's old slogan of "Quality is job 1" tells a lot about the reality of manufacturing. They didn't say "Perfection is job 1".  Their goal is to produce a quality product at an affordable price. I think LL did that very well.

The thing is the majority of quality issues I find would cost absolutely nothing to do right in the first place.  No extra materials needed, no extra time needed.

nhlakes

Quote from: Gary M on July 20, 2018, 01:04:15 PM
Sure I could carry extra water jugs, and i do on long trips.. but an 18 gallon tank just isn't acceptable to me on a $30k TT.

Agreed, especially when sold as a 26gal tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrampaKilt

Back to the topic of battery chargers...the Cotek 1250 runs $299 USD, making it somewhat over $400 CAD. Too dear for my LSW!

Any other brand recommends pushing 50 amps or so and in the $200 CAD price range; preferably from Amazon.ca?

Also looked at Kirkland 6V 205 Ah at an Alberta Costco...$140 CAD.  Seems awesome price for Canada. Any comments?

Thanks. GK

Thank you. GK

Gary M

GK look at the progressive dynamics converters. They're cheaper and highly rated. You can manually put them in boost mode while boondocking too 👍🏻

ADR

I highly recommend the Progressive Dynamics.   
Just finished installing one in my new 2018 16TBS- nothing wrong- yet- with the WFCO, but I like the PD better.
Left the WFCO in place but disconnected- the PD is installed right behind the WFCO chassis/fuse panel.

I also have one installed in my Transit wagon for the house battery I added.

And yes the boost mode is a significant advantage over the WFCO- plus it is Amercan made.