Cutting Azdel

Started by MitchB, April 18, 2018, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchB

I'm probably going to mount the display unit for my Drok battery monitor in the lower kitchen cabinet so I was thinking about how best to cut a hole in the Azdel.  Any thoughts or tips?  Thanks

Mitch
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

Hal_Yarbrough

It would be nice to have a scrap piece to experiment with, but a Fein tool or one of the many copies should do nicely. Very clean and precise cuts with these tools.

MitchB

That might work and I have one.  My only concern would be that it would vibrate more than the thin azdel would like. It does make nice cuts though.

Diversteve

I have had great success using an E-acto knife.
First make a template the dimension of the opening then cut your opening a little small and trim to a perfect fit.

MitchB

I would not have thought about an exacto knife, thanks!

tinkeringtechie

Pretty much any razor blade will work (like a box cutter). It's pretty fibrous, so I wouldn't suggest any kind of saw or it will just shred and fray. You may need to add something to the back to reduce flex. Even just some aluminum sheet glued or double-stick taped to the back will help.

ADR

I used a 1" hole saw on my Azdel to install an AC outlet tied to my inverter and a couple of extra cig lighter sockets for phone chargers.
After drilling the two holes for the AC outlet I cut between them with my pocket knife.   Stuff cuts VERY easily...
Handy to have a vacuum directed to the area when cutting- the fibreglass strands gave me the itchies even with the vacuum.

MitchB

Thanks for the vacuum tip!

MitchB

X-acto was most definitely the way to go. Easy as could be.   Here's the final placement of the Drok monitor.  If you're not familiar with this item it's a small inexpensive way to monitor your battery state and usage.  I got it last year and although it's advertised as wireless (and indeed it is) that only works from a few feet away and not inside the metal box we call a camper. The shunt part is mounted in my battery box and connects to the display part via USB cable.  I ran that underneath the camper (put it in a wire loom for protection) and then up the hole where the water lines come into the kitchen cabinet.  If the unit lasts I'd say it was $30 well spent.   

Sorry, don't know why the picture is sideways

Gary M

I use a hole saw with a drill initially, then I finish my cuts with either a razorblade, or this little mini hacksaw that i keep in my RV toolbox that I got off amazon. I find the hacksaw is a lot easier than the razorblade.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-22-0012-Compact-Hack-10-Inch/dp/B003VY8WA2/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1528333677&sr=1-5&keywords=mini+hacksaw

I've installed a few outlets with it, and plan on doing some more.