Old forum Archive
This is where all the topics from the old forum that was shutdown are saved in a read-only forum. You can refer to it on this forum by using a link or copying the data over.
http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/

Author Topic: Let's organize a meetup  (Read 388 times)

DavidM

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      2013 Nissan Pathfind

• Camplite 16 TBS
    • View Profile
Let's organize a meetup
« on: March 09, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
This forum has been a bit dead lately so let me juice it up a bit by talking about camping get togethers.

I have organized a few recent ones in Maine. This year we probably won't go back to Maine, but the eastern Adirondacks in New York State is an area that we plan to stay at for a week or so. The area I am talking about is to the west of Lake Champlain and specifically Paradox Lake Campground just west of Ticonderoga and Scaroon Manor Campground on Schroon Lake just east of I 87. Both are NY State campgrounds.

Here is a link to Paradox Lake Campground- http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24488.html. And here is a link to Scaroon Manor Campground- http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/72082.html.

So who would be interested in an Adirondack meetup at either or maybe both of those two campgrounds. We are entirely flexible about dates but would prefer midweek M-F as it is always less crowded then. There are plenty of campsites available in July right now.

And anyone else who would like to plan a get together, now is the time. The campground reservations are filling up (but nothing like Acadia NP) so make some plans and post your proposed meetup just like I just did.

David

Chappy133

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      2013 F-150 Supercrew

• 2016 LL 16 TBS
    • View Profile
Re: Let's organize a meetup
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »
My July dates after the 4th are an open dance card.
Easton, PA

DocktorJJ

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      2015 Toyota Tundra

• 2017 CampLite 21RBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
I think this is a really good idea.  Need to do by regions; ie.  East, West, Midwest, southeast, etc. Would love to camp out west but that's about 2100 miles or more from Florida.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

—Mark Twain [Samuel Clemens]

Steve Sanders

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      Hyundai Santa Fe

• 2010 6.0 & 2012 8.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
A rally sounds great, but that location is probably too far for us.

I think a few regional gatherings would be necessary because of geography, but I'm not sure there's enough of us to split up for multiple locations.

I'm in central Alabama, so a gathering
 close to the southeast would be good for us.

If we could figure out where the people interested in attending live, we could try to find some locations that would be good for as many as possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DavidM

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      2013 Nissan Pathfind

• Camplite 16 TBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »
Well, Steve why don't you use this thread to propose a favorite location near you and see who responds. So far one member has responded to my Adirondack proposal.

David

Steve Sanders

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      Hyundai Santa Fe

• 2010 6.0 & 2012 8.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
Well, Steve why don't you use this thread to propose a favorite location near you and see who responds. So far one member has responded to my Adirondack proposal.

David
Well, our most common camping locations are along the gulf coast. It's nice, but not very centrally located.

What about the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge, Tennessee area for a southeast gathering. I don't have a preferred campground in the area, but I know there are a several to choose from.

Merlin

• Global Moderator
    • TV and RV:
      2017 Land Cruiser

• 2015 Camplite 16TBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »
I hope some meet ups can happen this year. As DavidM has noted, this is a great group of folks to have around a campfire.

The high sales of RVs in the past couple of years is good and bad. The good news is that lots of people are camping and the bad news is that lots of people are camping. We are going to Glacier National Park this July (and then up into Canada for a month). I thought about helping to arrange a "western" meet up in Glacier, but by the time I got around to making camping reservations in January for the national park campground in late July, I got the LAST site left, and with no hookups. That may be the case for popular campgrounds in the travel season all over the country.

I think gbpack may be willing to help organize a SW meet up next year and some locations have already been kicked around in Arizona/Utah for one in 2019.

I had previously mentioned the possibility of a midwest meet up on Lake Michigan at Indiana Dunes State Park (next to Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore) for this summer. If anyone has interest in that for either June or September, I would willing to see what might work for one there in 2018.

If any suggested meet ups on this thread gets legs and takes off and happens, the person with the suggestion should start a new thread dedicated to it. That way we can keep this thread for suggestions and have all the relevant details for a specific meet up in a separate dedicated thread.

The snow is almost melted off my camper and I’m in countdown mode until the first trip of the year in May on Lake Huron.  8)
Michigan

DavidM

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      2013 Nissan Pathfind

• Camplite 16 TBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 08:41:34 PM »
Merlin is absolutely right. Use this thread to propose a meetup and see how much interest you get. Then if it looks like it may work, then start a thread specific to your meetup. I will do that for the eastern Adirondacks meetup that I proposed once I get a little more interest.

David

Steve Sanders

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      Hyundai Santa Fe

• 2010 6.0 & 2012 8.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
Sounds like a good plan. We will see what happens.