So now is livinlite's new fiberglass campers

Started by Wvabeer, December 20, 2017, 08:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wvabeer

So now is livinlite's new fiberglass campers still fit into the aluminum camper section?????

Paul

The frame is still Aluminum and they offer the option of aluminum cabinet! Still a lot of aluminum left!  ;) But yea less aluminum than before!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

MitchB

Have they completely done away with aluminum sides and front?
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

Paul

Quote from: MitchB on December 21, 2017, 08:49:07 AM
Have they completely done away with aluminum sides and front?

I think it's still available right now but that the plan is to go away from it, that's what I have been told by someone at LL. I still had the option to get aluminum side when I ordered my 2018 21BHS and that's what I ordered. But I wanted a blue unit and it was only available in fibreglass side. They offered to switch me to the Platinum Package to get the blue color or to pick a different one. The blue they were using for aluminum wasn't as thick as the other color so they decided to remove that color for aluminum because it was too prone to scratch.

At first I wasn't sure taking another color or to go with fibreglass to get blue. Finally I have decided to take my chance and go with the fibreglass. I wasn't disappointed when I saw the unit! It looks really nice!  I haven't had the time to try it since it went directly to storage after delivery. Next summer I will do a full review of it.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

I think the move to the laminated sides is now complete. Their website shows only the composite sides and in the current issue of Trailer Life magazine, Dave Boggs, LL general manager, touts their new side wall construction. Here's the description on the web site:

"Vacuum-Bonded Walls Laminated w/Composite Material 3-Tier Glue Process (stronger & more durable)"

So the only aluminum left is the framing (and cabinet fronts if you choose that option).
Michigan

Pinstriper

Unless it's paper-thin, the fiberglass will again be heavier than previous, no ?

DavidM

In general fiberglass sides are better than aluminum except for one thing: weight.

Fiberglass should be stiffer, easier to attach to framing and probably more resistant to rock dings than aluminum.

But I wonder about weight. The LL website lists the 16TBS' unloaded weight as 3,010 lbs. My 2013 with an additional axle was listed at about 2,950 lbs. I wonder if the website's weight accurately reflects the new fiberglass sides or if the 2013 model's weight was accurate. Anyone know?

But taking the specs at face value and assuming that the loss of an axle was worth 100 lbs, the 16TBS has grown by about 150 lbs or 5%. Not the end of the world, but not in the right direction.

David

Paul

My 2018 21BHS weight 3950 lbs dry weight according to my sticker and it is listed at 3630 on the website. I have the fiberglass side with the aluminum cabinet option.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

charliem

Quote from: DavidM on December 21, 2017, 11:28:39 AM
In general fiberglass sides are better than aluminum except for one thing: weight.

Fiberglass should be stiffer, easier to attach to framing and probably more resistant to rock dings than aluminum.

But I wonder about weight. The LL website lists the 16TBS' unloaded weight as 3,010 lbs. My 2013 with an additional axle was listed at about 2,950 lbs. I wonder if the website's weight accurately reflects the new fiberglass sides or if the 2013 model's weight was accurate. Anyone know?

But taking the specs at face value and assuming that the loss of an axle was worth 100 lbs, the 16TBS has grown by about 150 lbs or 5%. Not the end of the world, but not in the right direction.

David

David,

I would think an axle, two wheels, two tires and hardware would weigh more than 100 pounds. No hard data but your 100 pound guestimate seems light. The original LLs used aluminum for:

• Light weight
  • Longevity
  • Low maintenance   
  • No mold or rot
  • No corrosion
Thor seems to have given up on the first, second and third goals, and maintained the fourth and fifth. When they switch to a Lippert steel frame like the rest of the industry the conversion will be almost 100%.   
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Apollo

The construction content has been reduced and the price has gone up. Aluminum is more durable, will last longer, and has less maintenance than any other camper material.

Personally I bought into the "all aluminum" concept, not the "no rot" one. Rubber roofs, plastic floors, fiberglass sides? I can buy a $10,000 camper that has most of those features.

Different strokes for different folks, but if I had to replace my 2016 21BHS with its aluminum floor, roof, walls, torsion axles with 4 brakes, larger baggage doors with storage in the slide, etc, etc, etc,  it certainly wouldn't be with a new livin lite.