Need to replace gas struts

Started by gbpack, November 14, 2017, 12:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbpack

Hi gang. I know this has been covered before but I can't find it. We're getting a new queen mattress in our 21BHS and I will need to replace the gas struts in the storage area under the bed (the original ones won't be able to hold up the additional weight of the new mattress). What size (in pounds) for the new gas struts do I need in order to get the job done? Thanks!

MitchB

If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

gbpack

Thanks. I believe I read that some people put in 80 or 90 pound struts under their beds, but am looking for confirmation on that before I order.

gglkap1

We have a 2015 21RBS and I changed the 40# struts to 60# and they work with bed sheets blankets without a problem.

Gerald

tinkeringtechie

We have a relatively heavy foam mattress and 60lbs did the trick. It actually has a little extra oomph, so we have to pull it down a bit, but it won't accidentally fall on us.

gbpack

OK. I found 65# struts at an auto parts store and I will be picking them up later today (they had to ship them in from another one of their stores). I am not looking forward to the installation because I am going to have to compress them about 1/2 inch to get them on (the originals expanded about 1/2 inch when I took them off of the pins). The originals were 35# struts and are hard to compress by hand (now that I have them off). How am I going to compress the new ones (65#) one half inch in order to get them on?

pjcd

I took my off without any problems. I held the bed up to make sure they were fully extended and pulled the spring clip out slightly and the shock came off without a hitch.

gbpack

I was able to get them on without any problem at all. The ones we got were the right size and they just popped right on. Didn't even have to compress them (not even a little) or mess with the metal clips. Got ones that are rated at 65 pounds and they hold up the end of the bed just great! Thanks everyone!

Merlin

When you get a chance, post up the specific brand/model/number of the struts that worked. There will be others with the same need and it would be great to have the details.

I hope they stay down ok; I can imagine it being quite an "alarm clock" for those to pop up unexpectedly.  ;)
Michigan

PaulJ

We bought a custom mattress, and use a piece of PVC pipe to hold up the VERY heavy mattress.  I would love to know the length of the NEW struts and their brand?  I did not know I could replace them with a different weight.

gbpack

To handle the additional weight of our heavier new mattress, we bought these gas struts/lift supports from O'Reilly Auto Parts. They told me that they are rated for around 65#, which is perfect because they hold up the bed but are not so strong that they pop back up. The length is about 14" compressed and about 20.5" extended. The photos below show what is printed on the cylinders. The cost was about $25 each. They work great and were a breeze to install. Took less than one minute, as they just snapped right in (just popped on). Highly recommend them for anyone who has the under bed storage area in the 21BHS or 21RBS.

Made by:
Stabilus Lift-O-Mat

pjcd

I just replaced mine with the 60lb shock. Picked them up at Amazon for $25 for the pair. Works much better the the factory ones. Took all of three minutes to replace.

mojospeople

This whole thread makes me envious. Envious because our 16TBS doesn't have hinged lids for the two compartments therefore no struts to hold up the hefty aftermarket king size mattress that we replaced the OEM "mattresses" (pads). We love the mattress and love having king size sleeping space but it's practically a two person job to get into those compartments without throwing out your back. Maybe it's time for mods to hinge and strut the lids...

Merlin

Super easy mod. I bought the long hinges called piano hinges at the hardware store and hinged the compartment lids. I used simple SS self-threading screws, but with a pilot hole and did about every 4 hole in the hinges. Instead of a gas strut, I went cheap and use a wood dowel rod to hold the lids up. Now that gbpack has listed the struts that work, I think I'll add one of the those to each lid to ease the lifting. I have photos posted in the forum archives that I'll go find if you need them.
Michigan

mojospeople

Quote from: Merlin on November 23, 2017, 07:19:52 PM
Super easy mod. I bought the long hinges called piano hinges at the hardware store and hinged the compartment lids. I used simple SS self-threading screws, but with a pilot hole and did about every 4 hole in the hinges. Instead of a gas strut, I went cheap and use a wood dowel rod to hold the lids up. Now that gbpack has listed the struts that work, I think I'll add one of the those to each lid to ease the lifting. I have photos posted in the forum archives that I'll go find if you need them.

I was thinking you had done the hinges. I'll find that post for reference. I think it will make a good winter project.