Cold Weather Camping

Started by PYG RYDR, August 24, 2017, 02:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PYG RYDR

We, my wife and dog, plan to visit CO the last week of September and first week of October, and camp in our Camplite 16TB and view the Golden Aspens in their glory! 

We will travel to many CO mountain locations, and looking at weather forecasts for some mountain areas-like Silverton, the nighttime temps are forecast down into the mid 20s, with daytime temps in the mid 40s.

Realizing my water lines/valves could freeze, do I need to purge the water and camp without water; or just camp as normal?

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want;
and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

MitchB

If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

Capt J-rod

I would drain the fresh water side and winterize the plumbing. In the gray and black tanks I would dump a gallon or two of RV antifreeze in the tanks, down the drains and in the toilet. Make sure that the trap in the shower has antifreeze in it. Drain and isolate the hot water heater. Don't forget the outdoor shower. Now you can use the toilet and pour jugged water down the sinks. You might make a slushy in the tanks, but it won't freeze hard enough to harm anything. I use a small electric heater inside and leave any doors open to keep plumbing exposed. You won't have "running water" but you can still brush your teeth and use the toilet. It might be an overkill, but for $10 in antifreeze you can get some cheap insurance. Others have posted that it is difficult to get all the water out of the fresh water tank due to a sag or the location of the tap.  Be sure to check it. I usually don't like antifreeze in the water tank, but if there is some left then I would pour some antifreeze in there as well. Hope this helps.

PYG RYDR

I was thinking along those lines.  I carry a small 120 volt air compressor, and can use it to winterize the camper, and still use the toilet and sink.  Then when I locate to a warmer location, go back to normal water use.

Thanks!
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want;
and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

wcart3r

I would wrap the plumbing lines with heat tape.

whitecastleman

You might want to get a small dehumidifier to deal with the inside moisture that builds up- especially during cold camping.  Several decent small models are available for under $100

Chappy133

Headed to the low 20s tonight in Vermont.  All winterized.  Jug water for the toilet.  Ran a long extension cord from my brothers house but the electric heater fan is not happy so only heating off propane.  Will try sleeping tonight with the heat off.  I have a -20 sleeping bag I will be toasty however that floor is cold. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

Very cool, literally and figuratively! 20's is chilly.  8)
Michigan