Quicksilver Hubs

Started by billandmissy, June 05, 2017, 12:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billandmissy

Hello all,

We have a 2013 QS8.1 that we bought used earlier this year.  In a few weeks, we're taking on it's first long trip (probably 3500 miles).  I saw somewhere in the old forum that someone suggested traveling with a bearing kit in case you run into trouble.  Sounds like good advice.  I sent a copy of the label on the axle to Dexter and they kindly sent me a few spec sheets with the part numbers of all the hub components.  I'm guessing that what I have is probably the same for the entire QS line over the years.  Anyway, thought I'd pass along what I got from them.  I'll attach a pic of the label and the spec sheets.  Here's the bearing kit from etrailer:  https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Bearings_Races_Seals/TruRyde/BK1-150.html.  The kits are $10 each, so $20 is not bad for a little peace of mind.

Steve Sanders

With the Dexter Easy Lube hubs, put some fresh grease in and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tinkeringtechie

Quote from: Steve Sanders on September 02, 2017, 09:17:03 PM
With the Dexter Easy Lube hubs, put some fresh grease in and you should be good to go.

I think by "run into trouble" he meant if a bearing overheats, shatters, a race splits, etc... then it's necessary to swap out the whole bearing. No amount of grease will fix it. I've even heard of people who carry whole spare hubs so they can just pull the castle nut off and swap out the whole assembly.

Steve Sanders

Grease won't fix bearing failure, but it should prevent it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk