Question about my WD hitch

Started by tek610, May 07, 2017, 09:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tek610

Hello friends-

In one of the RV Facebook groups I belong to, a fellow was commenting on a pic of my trailer tongue and asked me about my WD hitch. He asked me if I had experienced any problems with it. He said that he was researching WD hitches for aluminum frames and was apprehensive about purchasing one due to his findings. Mine is a Curt brand, round bar type hitch. It was installed by the dealer I purchased from (which is NOT a Livin' Lite dealer- my trailer was a lot leftover when a former LL dealer was bought out.)

I have only towed it home from the dealership and then to the storage lot where it sits now, around 50-60 miles total, and it didn't budge, it towed great.

Should I be concerned? There is nothing in the hitch manual that warns about use with an aluminum frame.

Thanks for your help!

John

Pinstriper

Umm.... {rock, paper, scissors, DAMN!)...ok, I'll do it.

So....why exactly do you have a WDH for a 13QBB ?

tek610

Well, I suppose mostly because I'm a new guy. Everything I read suggested one for short wheelbase tow vehicles. My Jeep says capacity is 3500, but 5000 with a WD hitch. I wanted to stay a decent amount under capacity. It's an 18 year old Cherokee. Unibody.

So, you think it's completely unnecessary?

It's an unusual 13QBB. GVWR is over 4000 lbs, although I likely won't ever load it over 3500.

If I don't need it, I'll get rid of it.

tinkeringtechie

Quote from: tek610 on May 08, 2017, 12:43:53 AM
Well, I suppose mostly because I'm a new guy. Everything I read suggested one for short wheelbase tow vehicles. My Jeep says capacity is 3500, but 5000 with a WD hitch. I wanted to stay a decent amount under capacity. It's an 18 year old Cherokee. Unibody.

So, you think it's completely unnecessary?

It's an unusual 13QBB. GVWR is over 4000 lbs, although I likely won't ever load it over 3500.

If I don't need it, I'll get rid of it.

How are the brackets attached to the tongue? (bolted, clamped, screws, etc...) How about a picture? The general consensus is that as long as it doesn't involve drilling any holes in the frame then you're in the clear.

tek610

Quote from: tinkeringtechie on May 08, 2017, 12:53:38 AM
How are the brackets attached to the tongue? (bolted, clamped, screws, etc...) How about a picture? The general consensus is that as long as it doesn't involve drilling any holes in the frame then you're in the clear.

I don't have a pic on hand, but it's not drilled. It's clamped with a set screw.

That pretty much answers my question, thanks.

Now, to decide whether or not I need it at all...

Pinstriper

My 14dbs runs 3600-3700 fully loaded,so I'm having a hard time seeing your 13qbb needing anything. That said, is this a 2door Cherokee ? Who/what else is in the Cherokee ? What's your tongue weight ?

Here's what a WDH does for you: if your tongue weight is too much for the rear end of the tow vehicle, you can move some pf that load to the front axle of the tow vehicle AND THE TRAILER AXLE.

A WDH is not the "up all the limits" item that you'd think from reading your owners manual.

And yeah, unless your install is drilled, I wouldn't worry about the trailer frame. Unibody worries me more, but again, the weight involved with your trailer doesn't/shouldn't get anywhere near the problem/need zone.

Put it this way: if you've somehow managed to get your trailer up over 4k, and the tongue weight is running 600, and the two guys in the back seat are adding another 500-600 plus all the gear behind the seats....I'm betting you've run out of GCVWR anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tek610

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I'm sure my tongue weight won't get anywhere the 600 lb range, and I won't be carrying any passengers besides the wife in the front seat.

Guess I was just being overly cautious; was more concerned with screwing up my Jeep than anything. I even updated my leaf springs before purchasing the trailer. When I checked again, my manual says 200lb TW limit w/o WDH, 750 with. I imagine it also might have to do with the XJ's notoriously crappy rear brakes, i.e., keeping the front wheels squarely on the pavement.

I suppose I'll go load it up for a trip and check the TW this week (I recently added some weight with a battery upgrade), and then perhaps try pulling it with and without WD for a comparison. At least, I'll measure to check for any differences in vehicle height with and without.

As I said, I'm overly cautious, and in this case, perhaps to a fault.

Thanks again.

gbpack

You're not being overly conservative. It's good to ask the question, especially with the tongue weight limit of only 200 lbs. With battery and propane up front, it won't take you long to get over that once loaded. You may find that you actually could benefit from a WDH and some give you some sway control as well which is nice when it's windy or a semi goes by! Good luck!

Pinstriper

Quote from: tek610 on May 08, 2017, 05:54:36 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I'm sure my tongue weight won't get anywhere the 600 lb range, and I won't be carrying any passengers besides the wife in the front seat.

Guess I was just being overly cautious; was more concerned with screwing up my Jeep than anything. I even updated my leaf springs before purchasing the trailer. When I checked again, my manual says 200lb TW limit w/o WDH, 750 with. I imagine it also might have to do with the XJ's notoriously crappy rear brakes, i.e., keeping the front wheels squarely on the pavement.

I suppose I'll go load it up for a trip and check the TW this week (I recently added some weight with a battery upgrade), and then perhaps try pulling it with and without WD for a comparison. At least, I'll measure to check for any differences in vehicle height with and without.

As I said, I'm overly cautious, and in this case, perhaps to a fault.

Thanks again.

Wow. 200# TW limit is pretty pitiful. And man, that doesn't square with their 3500# tow rating for no WDH.  Should be more like 400# or a skootch more. The back end of that thing must be really heavy for 200# to be all that's left.

Now, upgrading the springs will be of actual help, but from a liability standpoint doesn't change the rating and in the event of an accident you could be ruled as having exceeded the vehicle's capabilities. Mind you, keep those springs.

In order to balance your trailer down to 200#, you'll be too light on the TW. So no, don't do that.

What does the tow vehicle look like when you are hooked up but without tension on the bars ?  You can also take some before and after measurements at the center of the wheel wells. If the back end sags, and the front end is looking high, yeah you will actually need it, presuming your TW is dialed in at 10-15% of trailer weight.

So, you need the trailer weight and tongue weight figures, and also cross-check your GCVWR.

The probable answer to MY question is "because the Cherokee rear end is pitiful".

tek610

Quote from: Pinstriper on May 08, 2017, 11:36:19 AM

Wow. 200# TW limit is pretty pitiful. And man, that doesn't square with their 3500# tow rating for no WDH.  Should be more like 400# or a skootch more. The back end of that thing must be really heavy for 200# to be all that's left.

Sorry man, in my OP I was trying to recall my ratings off the top of my head, but since I consulted my manual last night, lemme clarify-

The Jeep is rated to tow 2000lbs with a TW of 200 without a WDH. WITH a WDH, it is rated at 5000/750. So, I imagine when I did all my research last year, that's why I determined that a WDH was absolutely necessary for even a small trailer like my 13QBB. It is also the reason I sought a 13QBB in the first place. When loaded up and hitched up, it "looks" just fine; no noticeable lift in the front end, although I admit I haven't measured for a precise calculation. In the 3 short trips i've pulled it, I had no loss of steering or braking power, it felt very good.

True, the Cherokee doesn't have the strongest rear end, because of the unibody construction, but many owners who pull with them feel that it is vastly underrated. Personally, I trust Chrysler's engineers more than a bunch of Jeep yokels online. My intention was to remain at 80% or less under max capacity. With a WDH, I have done just that.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this. I was originally concerned that I might have a WDH that is not kosher with the aluminum frame, but now I feel reassured that I have a good set up.

I appreciate y'all-

John