Grey water tank vent question

Started by Fatdog2, May 05, 2017, 02:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

I read the old posts on grey water tank vent issues and was thinking of doing the water fill test. My 2014 21 BHS has a Hepvo dry p trap in shower, and air vent under kitchen sink. No tank monitoring system so it's all a guess work on grey water tank level until it backs up to kitchen sink. It does seem like it fills up rather quickly but not sure with out doing bucket test. From the pictures and description on old post,  it doesn't look to difficult to get the tank back up on both sink drain and vent and shower drain? Any recommendations let me know.
thank Peter

DavidM

I researched the archives for a description and pics of the fix to the problem of the vent pipe penetrating too far. I think I found the text. It is on page 6 of:

Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum »
    Camplite »
    Camplite General Q & A »
    Grey Water Tank Problem

But the pictures are presumably in the UberGallery which is a separate archive. The text gives the attachment id #. But I don't know how to correlate that to the gallery.

Can anyone help? Even better could Bryce and Brenda- jeeps,  repost the fix with pics here for all to see.

David

Fatdog2

David, I was able to copy photos I saw on the post to my computer. Not sure how to post them on the forum.

thank, Peter

Merlin

You can attach a photo using the "Attachments and other options" button directly below the box where you write. You can select from your files and they will attach to the post once you hit "Post".

Long story short, if you do the grey tank fill test and have less than the full capacity you are supposed to have (minus a couple gallons), it may be worth dropping the grey tank and cutting off the vent pipe to a length that just enters the top of the tank (if it's too short, the pipe won't seal to the tank hole). I gained about 1/3 more capacity by doing that.
Michigan

MikeT

I had the same problem with my grey water tank and fortunately it was covered by warranty.  I am now realizing I may have the same problem with my black water as it is only holding 60 litres instead of 100.  Another test you could perform that someone (Merlin?) previously suggested is to measure down into the tank through the vent stack.  Use a heavy duty tape measure and it will catch on the edge of the pipe.  Using that measurement and the measurement to the bottom and knowing the height of the tank will tell you if you have a problem. 

Cheers

Mike