Help... water heater won't light

Started by mojospeople, April 08, 2017, 01:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojospeople

It worked on our last outing but now no ignition. Actually it has randomly lit a couple times but doesn't stay lit and can't get it to start. It's really weird. Checked gas, flipped the breaker switch, unplugged ans plugged back in at the unit (under a rubber boot) to no avail. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

charliem

Sounds like the thermocouple or ignitor itself. The ignitor provides the spark to light the burner but the thermocouple keeps the gas valve open after a short preset time. Both have to work for a continued burn. Try having someone go outside and light the burner with a long match while the ignition cycle is happening. If it lights and stays lit it points to electronic ignitor. If it lights but goes out within seconds it points to the thermocouple. Both are easily replaceable. I assume you have cleaned everything and checked ignitor alignment. The circuit breaker has no effect on the gas operation but the WH must have a good source of 12 VDC and you should have a battery in place.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

DavidM

In addition to Charlie's excellent advice (I almost always agree with Charlie) make sure that the ignitor is positioned so it makes a strong spark in the gas path. The ignitor element can be bent to do this.

Do the same with the thermocouple sensing element. It has to be positioned in the blue part of the flame to work.

David

mojospeople

So it isn't trying to ignite except about 3 times and was successful then but only ran for about 10 minutes (timed once) and obviously the water isn't hit yet. I could understand the thermocouple but not the random ignition attempt. Battery is at full charge. Also there are marked fuses and breaker for the hwh.

charliem

I'm a little unclear from your description. If it lights within the 3 attempts but goes out after 10 minutes it could still be the thermocouple. It could be intermittant, close to complete failure, and just quitting after 10 minutes in the heat. Running 10 minutes pretty well exonerates the ignitor. It could also be the propane regulator producing a marginal flow. There have been cases of faulty regulators. I suppose it could also be the WH thermostat trying to cut off at a low temperature. Not sure how that would happen but failure modes are sneaky. When it goes out (10 minutes, water is cold)) does it try to relight almost immediately?

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

charliem

The WH fuse supplies the 12V circuitry and must be good for anything to happen. The breaker is only for the 120V side and has no effect on propane operation.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

mojospeople

No it doesn't try to relight. It doesn't try to to ignite when I turn on the switch and then an hour later, boom. It ignites, burns for 10 minutes and shuts off. Attempts to light again fail. Wondering about gas pressure. I have a true connectors on the tank running to a camp stove.

charliem

Sure acts like a thermostat. Are you sure the HW is not hot? Seems strange that it would not try to reignite. If the themocouple shut down the gas valve the thermostat should sill call for heat and the control board should attempt reignition. Same thing if gas pressure were low. It points to the thermostat for me. When the burner quits after 10 minutes try flushing the WH with cold water (just hook up a hose and run lots of water from the tap) and see if it will try to ignite. Or you could open the gray water dump drain and let a HW faucet run. The burner should run continuously attempting to heat the water. There are two thermostats on the gas side and two more on the electric side. One on each side is set for 130F and the other somewhat higher as a safety. There are reset buttons on all; make sure they are pushed in. 

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

charliem

Have you tried it on 120V ? Does the water get hot or just warm?

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

mojospeople

We're currently plugged into 30 amp. Testing will have to occur at home to more. It really doesn't make sense sense. I'm thinking it's either the ignitor alone or in conjunction with the thermostat.

charliem

If the WH shuts down after 10 minutes, does not try to reignite, but fires up an hour later it sounds like all is working fine. I'm wondering if the WH is really heating properly and satisfying the thermostat but the WH bypass valves are set improperly giving you the impression the water is not hot. If you're plugged into 30A the electric side of the WH should work fine and you should get HOT water.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

mojospeople

Checking my bypasses next.

mojospeople

Bingo! Forgot to close the middle bypass valve so cold was mixing with the hot, thermostat keeps it from lighting and the random light isn't when the tank drops below temp. Thanks! I can take a shower now!

mojospeople

*is when the tank temp drops.

Merlin

Quote from: charliem on April 08, 2017, 06:46:18 PM
If the WH shuts down after 10 minutes, does not try to reignite, but fires up an hour later it sounds like all is working fine. I'm wondering if the WH is really heating properly and satisfying the thermostat but the WH bypass valves are set improperly giving you the impression the water is not hot. If you're plugged into 30A the electric side of the WH should work fine and you should get HOT water.

Winner of the "Daily Trouble-Shooting Award" for every day this week.  ;D
Michigan