Pre-delivery inspection recommendations

Started by JazzyPigsGA, April 06, 2017, 03:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JazzyPigsGA

Our 21 RBS has arrived at the dealer so we are seeing when we can pick it up. I have found some great inspection checklists but those of you with recent experiences any focus areas?
Any areas you wish you would have checked better or even asked the dealer to verify were up to par before you go there.
This is a major upgrade for us moving from a fleetwood pop-up to this !
Can't wait to get this party started!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Diversteve

Check operation of TV/DVD player and radio operation.
This can be an issue where wiring can cause poor reception.

Pinstriper

Quote from: Diversteve on April 06, 2017, 07:56:26 AM
Check operation of TV/DVD player and radio operation.
This can be an issue where wiring can cause poor reception.

This.

It's easy to skip in favor of the more critical systems, but it's still something that will take you back to the dealer for warranty repairs.

Don't let them rush you. Test EVERY function. Outside shower. Toilet, etc. while connected to city water and off the fresh tank/pump. Have a two-way water heater ? Start it on electric, do some other stuff, then check is the water getting hot ? Switch over to propane - you'll be able to tell it is firing.

Furnace.

I presume you have the black tank rinse thingie. Turn it on and see what it does.

Are the tank monitors showing fresh water going in ? Black and grey water building up ?

All the lights - if they are the 2-way - one bulb or two - check both ways. Turn them all on - which ones are controlled by the master light switch ? Outside light(s) ?

Bring an AC plug tester. Are all plugs (including outside) live ? Polarity correct ?

Connect your rig. Running lights ?

Electric tongue jack ? Run it up and down a bunch of times. When the dealer guy starts getting annoyed, run it up and down 2 more times. Just because.

Open and latch all the doors and compartments. Make sure all the latches latch and hold. Fans run. Dials/cranks to open and close all the way, no binding. Windows latch correctly. Shades and screens go up and down and latch smoothly. Nothing jumps out of the tracks.

Slideout in and out a few times on battery and shore power. Check the seals.

Stab jacks up and down smoothly - do they need to be lubed ? One of ours was positioned too close to the sewer hose carrier, so you couldn't open the carrier with the jack in the "up" position (like it would be at, you know, the dump station).

Dump discharge cover - does it twist off cleanly but not too easily ? It needs to be secure but not overly difficult - you don't want to have to force it. That means something's going to break at some point. Is the retainer secure and in good shape ?

Run enough water into the toilet so see if the black tank holds full capacity or has a vent problem. (The dealer will love you for this as it will take a lot of his time. Come armed with the knowledge that it is a known problem from the factory on some units.)

Stairs stow and deploy easily ? Screen door latches easily but securely. No gaps around the frame.

Door locks (including the bathroom).

mojospeople

Check the plumbing couplers under the sink. Ours were loose and slight drip. Run a bunch of water down the shower drain (5 gals or so) and check for drain leak. I was told there is another coupler under there that was loose on our 2017 unit.

leslie

I suggest you have a pad of paper or papers on a clipboard and take notes of any system with which you are unfamiliar:
Step-by-step hitching and unhitching?
Step-by-step releasing the awning and putting it back? (mine is manual, not electric)
Anything else you need notes for

The day I picked up my camper was a very busy day for the dealer because they had at least 3 other campers being picked up by new owners. The technicians were being moved around, so 3 different techs were showing us what to do, and some things were left out. I asked if I could return with my camper if I had questions and the dealer said yes. I returned twice to have them show me how to do stuff.

I hope you enjoy this process. My husband and I enjoyed it.

Merlin

Soak it all up, like Leslie said. I learned a LOT in the 2 hours or so we were at the dealer going through systems.

One caveat from our experience at the dealer (and from our LACK of RVing experience) is the technician who took us through the camper kept mentioning things he said we needed. He was clearly in a sales role, as well as in a demo role. We ended up buying a large box full of "extras" that it turned out we needed NONE of. So, unless you are experienced RVer's, resist the sales job on all the little stuff that can add up to big bucks until you know what you really need.
Michigan

charliem

Quote from: Merlin on April 07, 2017, 08:19:47 PM
We ended up buying a large box full of "extras" that it turned out we needed NONE of. So, unless you are experienced RVer's, resist the sales job on all the little stuff that can add up to big bucks until you know what you really need.
Another demonstration proving a dealer is the last place you go for advice on anything. Maybe this forum should be the first.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

leslie

Quote from: Merlin on April 07, 2017, 08:19:47 PM
Soak it all up, like Leslie said. I learned a LOT in the 2 hours or so we were at the dealer going through systems.

One caveat from our experience at the dealer (and from our LACK of RVing experience) is the technician who took us through the camper kept mentioning things he said we needed. He was clearly in a sales role, as well as in a demo role. We ended up buying a large box full of "extras" that it turned out we needed NONE of. So, unless you are experienced RVer's, resist the sales job on all the little stuff that can add up to big bucks until you know what you really need.

I think all you need for your 1st trip away from the dealer in addition to your trailer and (most likely) WDH, will be the electric cord to plug in to the utility pole, the white water hose to get water to your camper, and a GOOD sewer hose. The black hose the dealer gave us was absolutely useless. We  subsequently got a Rhino with the orange connections.