Factory tour doc showing the build process

Started by tbrady, March 01, 2017, 12:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrady

Just saw the following pdf on the LivinLite site which shows tons of pictures of the build process... pretty cool.

https://www.livinlite.com/brochures/2017/Livin-Lite-Plant-Tour-2017.pdf

Pinstriper

Nosing around the website, I was shocked - SHOCKED at the new specs.

My 14DBS, dual axles, dry weight 2600#. Current spec: 3100#

Rubber and wood are much heavier than aluminum. Turns out. Who knew ?

Merlin

Quote from: Pinstriper on March 01, 2017, 11:13:49 PM

Very interesting. The 16TBS is much chubbier now too. 2105 is 3070 lbs dry and 2017 spec is 3370 lbs dry. But, it lost a lot in cargo capacity, going from the 2015 spec of 1930 to the 2017 spec of 1072. With water, propane, an extra battery, food, camping gear, and personal gear, I would think it might be easy to add several hundred pounds and begin to push the 1072 lb. cargo limit. All in all, the 2017 spec will be fine for most folks, but if they mess with it much more, they will need to change the name to Camphevy.
Michigan

AZMVP

Quote from: Merlin on March 02, 2017, 10:31:34 PM

Very interesting. The 16TBS is much chubbier now too. 2105 is 3070 lbs dry and 2017 spec is 3370 lbs dry. But, it lost a lot in cargo capacity, going from the 2015 spec of 1930 to the 2017 spec of 1072. With water, propane, an extra battery, food, camping gear, and personal gear, I would think it might be easy to add several hundred pounds and begin to push the 1072 lb. cargo limit. All in all, the 2017 spec will be fine for most folks, but if they mess with it much more, they will need to change the name to Camphevy.

Merlin - When you refer to cargo capacity, I am curious if you are referring to payload or cubic inches of storage space?  If you were referring to cubic inches of storage space, that is surprising as the 2017 16TBS appears to be six inches longer and a bit taller.  If payload.. isn't the 2015 16TBS a dual axle trailer? I believe current 16's are single axle. The slight increase in dimensions, along with adding an insulated floor, seems like it might add a bit of weight. I suppose time will tell if the supposed "creature comforts" are worth it.

Cheers!

Merlin

Quote from: AZMVP on March 03, 2017, 12:37:56 AM
Quote from: Merlin on March 02, 2017, 10:31:34 PM

[/quote

Merlin - When you refer to cargo capacity, I am curious if you are referring to payload or cubic inches of storage space?  If you were referring to cubic inches of storage space, that is surprising as the 2017 16TBS appears to be six inches longer and a bit taller.  If payload.. isn't the 2015 16TBS a dual axle trailer? I believe current 16's are single axle. The slight increase in dimensions, along with adding an insulated floor, seems like it might add a bit of weight. I suppose time will tell if the supposed "creature comforts" are worth it.

Cheers!

Gee, I didn't look at the other dimensions and didn't know the latest version was longer and higher. The cargo capacity numbers I quoted are in pounds. And, you're right about the dual to single axle change.
Michigan

leslie

This may be a dumb question, but here goes... With the change from a double axle to a single axle, wouldn't that be a reduction in the weight of the vehicle?

Merlin

You'd think it would lighten the rig by an axle's worth, but something else made up for that and added a total of about 300 lbs to the 16TBS. In reading further about the new specs, I see the tongue weight doubled with the change to the single axle. That could help stability, but with the new tongue weight at 442 lbs with a DRY trailer, folks will have to be careful about overloading the tow vehicle. Some water, stuff in the pass-through, propane, and maybe a second battery and that tongue weight will get pretty high.
Michigan

DavidM

The tongue and trailer weight of the 16TBS as listed on LL's website bounced around a lot over the years. I suspect that the current listed tongue weight is in the ball park for the single axle version. And as Merlin notes, adding LPG tanks, batteries and stuff in the pass through could easily push it over the 500 lb limit of some TVs.

I wish they had moved the axle location forward a bit when they went to single axle. I think that a tongue weight of 300 lbs would be about right for a dry trailer with no stuff on the tongue or in the pass through box.

Our double axle 16TBS had a tongue weight of 250 lbs in that condition and rose to about 350 now with added stuff.

David

FastEddieB

Any chance that the published weights are now simply more realistic?

I selected a tow vehicle based on a 21BHS tongue weight being advertised as 440 lbs., albeit with an asterisk. I was kinda surprised the first time I actually measured it and found it was about 625 lbs.

Pinstriper

Quote from: FastEddieB on March 03, 2017, 03:05:41 PM

Any chance that the published weights are now simply more realistic?

I selected a tow vehicle based on a 21BHS tongue weight being advertised as 440 lbs., albeit with an asterisk. I was kinda surprised the first time I actually measured it and found it was about 625 lbs.

Three chances. Fat, slim, and none.

My old weight was on the sticker from the factory, that unit specifically weighed. Not an estimate before options or anything. It lined up closely with their published weights.

The new weights reflect the use of heavier materials, plus a reduction in the capacity of the single axle versus the 2 axles. So your total capacity went down, and you used up more of it before you move an inch.