2016 16TB Problem Issues

Started by PYG RYDR, January 19, 2017, 04:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PYG RYDR

I bought a 2016 16TB new February 2016.  September-traveled 1 1/2 hours back to dealer to get the running/marker lights repaired and fix leaky wheel wells.  While dealer was working on the lights, they started working-problem was not identified.  Last week connected to go weekend camping and running lights again not working!  And discovered that the electrical junction box on the tongue is split.  And with radio on and plugging in cellphone into charging station, the radio loses signal and goes off. 

I have contacted the dealer about these warranty issues and am awaiting for new electric box to arrive at dealer so all can be repaired. 

Anyone ideas/suggestions for trouble shooting a repair?

This requires another 3 hours of travel to/from closest LL dealer.  Frustrating!

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want;
and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

DavidM

These electrical gremlins are almost impossible to troubleshoot over the internet. It takes a hands on guy with good diagnostic skills to track down the problem and fix it. This is a case where the factory probably missed a 25 cent connection but it will take hundreds of dollars of labor to find and fix it.

There isn't any easy way.

David

Merlin

Quote from: PYG RYDR on January 19, 2017, 04:37:03 PM
I bought a 2016 16TB new February 2016.  September-traveled 1 1/2 hours back to dealer to get the running/marker lights repaired and fix leaky wheel wells.  While dealer was working on the lights, they started working-problem was not identified.  Last week connected to go weekend camping and running lights again not working!  And discovered that the electrical junction box on the tongue is split.  And with radio on and plugging in cellphone into charging station, the radio loses signal and goes off. 

I have contacted the dealer about these warranty issues and am awaiting for new electric box to arrive at dealer so all can be repaired. 

Anyone ideas/suggestions for trouble shooting a repair?

This requires another 3 hours of travel to/from closest LL dealer.  Frustrating!

TIA

I can offer very little hope! I also had my running lights quit on me last summer and spent a lot (many, many hours) of time tracking down where the clearance light wires ran and how far the power made it before crapping out (technical term for no juice). I finally determined the wire goes up to the top clearance lights in a channel next to the rear of the slide and I found (miracle) a bad connection in the clearance lights wire in a wire chase over the shower stall. It was one of those awful clamp type connectors that do not hold up when they are wet (inevitable corrosion). I replaced the connector with a good crimp/heat shrink connector and the lights worked! However, in our late summer trip the clearance lights crapped out again, so I assume there is another bad connector somewhere. I'll track that down after the weather warms up a bit. If you have a split junction box, that's a good place to look first, but it will take a voltmeter, patience, and luck to find the bad connection. I wouldn't even want to count all the clamp type connectors in the wiring in my trailer (there are more than a dozen packed into the rear bumper alone). All that being said, I have to say the first place I would start on you trailer if none of the clearance lights work is the main plug into the tow vehicle. The plug itself and the associated connectors live a hard life and you may just have a weak link there?
Michigan

Merlin

And I should add that the radio/charging station issue is also going to be tough to track down. My "guess" is that the power wire to the radio is being shorted out by bad wiring at the charging station, but I don't know why that happens only when the charging station is being used?
Michigan

pjcd

It seems that there are a lot of minor issues with Camplite trailers, thankfully I have had no electrical problems. On the old forum there was enough threads relating to quality control issues, although I've had many I still like the trailer.

PYG RYDR

Merlin,

Thank you for your reply and information.  I am limited with resolving this issue and going back for a second warranty repair.  I am anxious about having this gremlin as ongoing problem.

BTW, when getting the electrical gremlin addressed the first time, my dealer was considering doing a complete re-wire.

I will report back on my gremlin!

Good luck on your repair!

Galen
Logan Pearsall Smith

Merlin

I just talked about this (the lights) again with my wife last night, based on you starting this thread. Given that there are so many clamp type connectors and I have no idea where to start again with the clearance light issue, I think I'll do the complete re-wire thing with the external lights. We do tow at night and I want everything to keep working for many years, so in the end I'll likely save myself a lot of time and aggravation with all new wire/connectors. I'll go warm up my heat gun  :P
Michigan

PYG RYDR

Quote from: Merlin on January 20, 2017, 05:54:57 PM
I just talked about this (the lights) again with my wife last night, based on you starting this thread. Given that there are so many clamp type connectors and I have no idea where to start again with the clearance light issue, I think I'll do the complete re-wire thing with the external lights. We do tow at night and I want everything to keep working for many years, so in the end I'll likely save myself a lot of time and aggravation with all new wire/connectors. I'll go warm up my heat gun  :P

Too bad you are MI and me in VA.  We could work together for a solution.  So I will make you an offer to meet you in between when weather warms and assist with your repair.  So if you want to delay your project for several months, I will help you make your repair.  Hopefully, mine gremlin will be repaired under warranty?  But maybe I will need your assistance as well!  (I guess we could meet in IN-argh, argh, argh)
Logan Pearsall Smith

Merlin

Great idea to work together. One of the great things about the LL meet up last summer was the shared experiences of repairs. We all learned something new out at Ft. Stevens, OR.
Michigan

Pinstriper

Quote from: Merlin on January 21, 2017, 02:53:50 PM
Great idea to work together. One of the great things about the LL meet up last summer was the shared experiences of repairs. We all learned something new out at Ft. Stevens, OR.

And Leslie showed off her recipe for raccoon. Got a lot of attention when it hit the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul

Quote from: Pinstriper on January 21, 2017, 07:51:12 PM

And Leslie showed off her recipe for raccoon. Got a lot of attention when it hit the table.

I want to hear that story!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Pinstriper

Quote from: Paul on January 22, 2017, 09:53:46 PM
Quote from: Pinstriper on January 21, 2017, 07:51:12 PM

I want to hear that story!

And well you should ! Especially after all her frettin' about bears.

leslie

Paul, join us in Maine, and we can share stories like this around the campfire. I will be glad to tell you about how Mrs. Pin got involved with the raccoon!

leslie

Now, back to the topic - a few years ago, when we had a problem with the electricals in our CAR, and after spending much time and $, we decided the least hassle and expense was to just rewire the d___ thing. So we did. Just wished we had done it in the first visit to the shop.

PYG RYDR

Merlin,

Curious, did you repair or replace your wiring?

Galen

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Logan Pearsall Smith