2017 11FK with off road package issue

Started by zonzin, January 07, 2017, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diversteve

Zonzin,
In the picture, is the left side toward the front?
If so, the axle as it compresses will move the tire towards the right and the gap will increase.
You may be in good shape.
If the left side is the rear, operate with care.

happyhiker

Quote from: DavidM on January 14, 2017, 02:39:24 PM
It looks to me, after comparing Zonzin's photos with almost no clearance and Happyhiker's pics above, that LL installed the wrong axle on Zonzin's trailer. He needs one with more down angle. Work with your dealer to get LL to replace those axles.

Further support for this theory: Look at Zonzin's label. It says SA: 10DT. Happyhiker's says SA: 32DT. So Zonzin has a 10 down axle (10 degrees maybe) and Happyhiker has a 32 down axle (32 degrees). Don't add a lift kit. Replace the axle.

David

Good observation David.  I think you spotted the critical difference.  I am attaching my original spec sheet for my axle and it states the arm angle is 32DT.  So yes, it seems the solution is to make LL put the correct axle on the trailer and not add a lift kit.

charliem

FYI, my 2014 dual axle 21RBS, ordered and delivered in late 2013 with the off road option, has Dexter axles labeled "22T". They have the pre-Thor 3500# rating so probably don't compress as much. My conversation with the factory engineer at the time reveled the off road package included axles with 10 degrees more angle. It sure looks like the 10T axle is wrong and can/should be changed. Good catch, David.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

tco2612

Could not post picture Here is the info on my axle.
2014 11" with off road package.
                                                           DEXTER AXLE
                                                          HF=76.25 OB=62.25  SA: 32 DT
                                                          10 H   3294902
                                                          S/N 121830026 CAPACITY 3000 LBS.

zonzin

Quote from: happyhiker on January 14, 2017, 01:10:15 PM
Quote from: zonzin on January 08, 2017, 12:44:26 AM
Quote from: tco2612 on January 07, 2017, 11:24:15 PM
My 2014 11" with off road package has more clearance than that. I have taken mine off road in Canada and the UP with out any issues.I do have to watch for low limbs in some spots.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the label on your axle? I would like to compare with mine.

Zonzin,

I purchased the Off road package for my 14DB in 2014.  Here are some pictures.  I didn't measure the clearance, but as you should be able to see from the pictures, there is several inches from the top of the tire to the fender well.   The specs on my axle appear similar to yours, but truthfully I don't know how to read the label.

Thanks so much for taking the pics. Definitely something wrong with mine.

zonzin

Quote from: happyhiker on January 14, 2017, 03:51:35 PM
It looks to me, after comparing Zonzin's photos with almost no clearance and Happyhiker's pics above, that LL installed the wrong axle on Zonzin's trailer. He needs one with more down angle. Work with your dealer to get LL to replace those axles.

Further support for this theory: Look at Zonzin's label. It says SA: 10DT. Happyhiker's says SA: 32DT. So Zonzin has a 10 down axle (10 degrees maybe) and Happyhiker has a 32 down axle (32 degrees). Don't add a lift kit. Replace the axle.

David

I got a number for someone at LL is the warranty dept. , I will give them a call on Monday and see if I can get this squared away.

Good observation David.  I think you spotted the critical difference.  I am attaching my original spec sheet for my axle and it states the arm angle is 32DT.  So yes, it seems the solution is to make LL put the correct axle on the trailer and not add a lift kit.

Scout

I would agree about the down angle being wrong. Your pics show the torsion arm in a recessed position (set above the centre line), ideally it should be pointing in a down ward position.

There should be no need for a lift kit on your package, however, if you don't get this resolved - I put the orbital machine works lift kit on my 2013 13RDB (which is square tubing) and my trailer has the same type of brackets on your 11FK. I've had no issues after thousands of kilometres up on the gnarliest roads in the mountains. The trailer did rise up quite a bit and I can now feel more wind resistance, but it tracks better so there is a bit of a trade off there. The 11 FK used come with a lighter axle for the base model and should have the heavier axle for the off road model. Could you look at the specs sheets of each and compare? Good luck!

zonzin

David

I called LL and explained the issue to them and sent pics,, they are sending me a new axle at 32 down. Good support.

PEIslander

Great news zonzin!

I have a 2013 CL11FDB with the off-road package. When I'm able I'll take a pic of my axel label. It's still winter big time here in the land of lawn tractors. Eventually things will thaw and I can see what axle they put on mine. I have plenty of clearance at the wheel wells.

I attach a pic of mine being built -- pic courtesy of Don, the former employee spoken about earlier in this thread.

"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

Gator Egg

Not to highjack this thread, but a question.  I'm heading out this weekend to pickup(hopefully) new to me used 11fk.  It does not have the offroad package.  I do want to add as much as I can.  What size tires are on the 11fk offroad.  I can almost read the sidewalls in the above pics.  Thanks.

tco2612

LT195/75/14     That's what my off road package has.

Merlin

Quote from: Gator Egg on March 29, 2017, 01:23:13 PM
Not to highjack this thread, but a question.  I'm heading out this weekend to pickup(hopefully) new to me used 11fk.  It does not have the offroad package.  I do want to add as much as I can.  What size tires are on the 11fk offroad.  I can almost read the sidewalls in the above pics.  Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "....add as much as I can." The 11FK came with 175/80-13 tires on 13" wheels. Without a lift package (or the off-road package), you can't do much about increasing tire/wheel size and there are no off-road tires in 13"
Michigan

Gator Egg

I was going to try and get away with the tires and a lift kit.  But to forego the axle.

zonzin

The axle finally arrived from LL, a new 32 degree down version. It was easy to install and definitely resolved any clearance issues and gave me the height I wanted when buy the Off Road option. They also sent me new wheel well liners to replaced the damaged one. Good customer support over all. A trip to Moab put it to the test and all is well.
Here's a couple of before and after pics.

Before:

After:

djsamuel

Great to see!  Thanks for the update.

Doug