Electrical Shore-Tie Smart Plug Replacement 30 amp

Started by Fatdog2, October 09, 2021, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

I have had some Electrical Shore Tie connection and overheating plug issues recently. This last camping trip I noticed the shore tie plug neutral terminal had melted a little and had overheated. I disassembled the plug and I found the wire terminal spring tabs were not very tight (wide gap).  The other issue is I might not have turned the plug far enough to lock it in place and then tightened  up the screw collar. I knew I need to replace it. So I did a google search and came across a Smart Plug, a direct plug in 30amp 125v replacement shore tie. I ordered it and installed it. It was really simple. I did have to file the camper wall a little to get the receptacle to go in the hole and mount to the camper wall. The directions are well written and wire connection is well marked. Well worth the piece of mind of having a solid shore tie connection with no chance of overheating or fire. 

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Plug-B30ASSYPB-Non-Metallic-Connector/dp/B0194H9T92/ref=pd_sim_3/142-1126831-2726033?pd_rd_w=LQjEI&pf_rd_p=6caf1c3a-a843-4189-8efc-81b67e85dc96&pf_rd_r=NDQTFZ6MZF48Z2A5VBSW&pd_rd_r=798820b3-2b1e-4886-8919-33bd0c6f9461&pd_rd_wg=pqu6n&pd_rd_i=B0194H9T92&psc=1

Merlin

Good detective work and excellent solution. That looks like a quality connector.
Michigan

Fatdog2

Thanks Merlin. It's a nice shore tie connector and it's really made well.  The plug has a rubber seal, a nice water proof connection, and a nice locking feature.  I like it much better than the twist lock.  I got lucky it didn't catch fire in the driveway when I had it plugged in.  For the price it was worth it to change and not have to worry about a possible fire. We just love our LL 21BHS and nothing built compares to it when one looks at the no wood or worry about mold.