Old forum Archive
This is where all the topics from the old forum that was shutdown are saved in a read-only forum. You can refer to it on this forum by using a link or copying the data over.
http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/

Author Topic: Dining seating  (Read 287 times)

shark24

• TV and RV:
      2014 Nissan Path.

• 2013 21 BHS
    • View Profile
Dining seating
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:41:55 PM »
What is under the seating area of the dinette? Has anyone made a storage area for like crockpot under there on the two sides?

shark24

• TV and RV:
      2014 Nissan Path.

• 2013 21 BHS
    • View Profile
Re: Dining seating
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:45:00 PM »
2013 21BHS

djsamuel

• TV and RV:
      Ram 1500

• Camplite 21BHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 06:14:13 PM »
In my 2013 21BHS, the area under the seats is open, there is no storage. If a bottom was added and a means to access the area installed, it could be made into a storage area.  We've never done so, but others may have.

tt2retire

• TV and RV:
      2014 T. Highlander

• 2016 LivinLite 21BHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »
I've got a 2016 21BHS with the dinette on the slide-out. With a family of 5 and a dog we're always a little tight on space. I was toying with the idea of opening up the two front vertical panels on the dinette that face towards the opposite side of the trailer. It would be a very simple mod since there are no aluminum frame members behind the thin wood panels. Then, while camping, one could quickly toss their shoes or whatever underneath on the newly available floor space. Maybe put the dog's water bowl in there so it doesn't get spilled so often. My LSW would like something like doors to cover the openings to satisfy her constant urge to make the trailer look less "industrial" on the inside. I could put two facing doors on each side opening while using strong magnetic latches to keep them closed while not in use or traveling. However, I'm pretty sure the doors or my feet would sustain major injuries on the first trip.

Any ideas on coverings for the openings that would avoid injuries and still satisfy the less industrial requirements?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Merlin

• Global Moderator
    • TV and RV:
      2017 Land Cruiser

• 2015 Camplite 16TBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 03:42:14 PM »
Skip doors and go with soft looking curtains? If itís just shoes and a dog bowl, no need for doors?  For curtains that small, a simple well fastened curtain rod and something the size a typical valence might work? 
Michigan

tt2retire

• TV and RV:
      2014 T. Highlander

• 2016 LivinLite 21BHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
That's a good idea. I could probably put some small corner trim molding to match the wood that was not cut out to hide rough edges.

Maybe to entice my LSW, I could offer to make decorative side curtains for the existing window valences to somewhat match the new shoe/dog bowl storage area curtains.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tilliejacques

• Premium Member
    • TV and RV:
      '17 Jeep Cherokee v6

• '17 Camplite 14DBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 02:48:15 PM »
I don't know if it would work on the 21BHS dinette but on my 14DBS, AZCamper and I put in Ikea Sektion Maxmera 15" kitchen drawers.
Opened:

Closed:

We've only done one short trip with them and they haven't opened.  The soft close feature does make them harder to pull out, which I think helps the drawers stay in while traveling, but I'm looking around for something to add for a more positive "latch".  I focused on putting lighter things in the drawers too.

Though, if we ever end up driving through OK City on I-40, I will just plain save aggravation and take out the drawers and lay them on the bed!  Maybe the pots and pans above the fridge too!!  :o 

Here's our 14DBS dinette with the side cut out:

Sorry but I uploaded this photo from the other side of the dinette and am too lazy to go find the one matching the other pictures that I posted.  :D

anyway, hope this might give some ideas.

cheers
Me and AZcamper1 and a dog named Zelda

Apollo

• TV and RV:
      2018 F150 2.7

• 2016 21BHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 11:53:00 PM »
There isn't much space under the 21BHS dinette seats only about the 1/3 of the way back and only on the sides. Also it is open on the bottom so you would need to do quite a bit of work to turn it into storage it is possible though.

I removed the dinette because it sucks. It is uncomfortable, tight, barely fits 3 people, and it blocks the path to bathroom when the slide is in. Now have a 74 x 30 6" thick foam mattress. Can still seat people at the table but it also serves as a huge couch or a comfortable bed for 1. Most importantly you can walk to bathroom with the slide in  :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:55:17 PM by Apollo »

GrampaKilt

• TV and RV:
      2017 GMC Sierra 1500

• 2014 14DB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:28:16 PM »
I don't know if it would work on the 21BHS dinette but on my 14DBS, AZCamper and I put in Ikea Sektion Maxmera 15" kitchen drawers.

For my kitchen cabinet upgrade, a laundry basket system from IKEA called Antonius was a perfect size for the space but as with many things IKEA, it is no longer available. I install IKEA cabinets regularly but never suspected the Maxmera 15" drawer with it's many nifty accessories would also fit. I may just have to upgrade the upgrade! GK