Old forum Archive
This is where all the topics from the old forum that was shutdown are saved in a read-only forum. You can refer to it on this forum by using a link or copying the data over.
http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/

Author Topic: Window leaks  (Read 319 times)

Merlin

• Global Moderator
    • TV and RV:
      2017 Land Cruiser

• 2015 Camplite 16TBS
    • View Profile
Re: Window leaks
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 06:03:42 PM »
I don't like mineral spirits because of the smell and I'm never sure if there is a slight oily film left. Alcohol is my go-to for final caulking prep. The price increase has me using it very sparingly however!
Michigan

GrampaKilt

• TV and RV:
      2017 GMC Sierra 1500

• 2014 14DB
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 08:29:23 PM »
Sometimes mineral spirits are needed to clean off residues, but like paint thinners, they leave behind an oily film. Caulking may seem to stick only to fail much sooner than necessary. Recommend going over an area necessarily cleaned with mineral spirits et al. with alcohol to remove that unseen film. As an aside, I'm a big fan of cyanoacrylate glues (Crazy Glue) especially for woodworking. A quick swipe of acetone along a wood joint makes a world of bonding difference. GK

stu1965

• TV and RV:
      Ram 1500

• 2013 16tbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 07:44:24 AM »
raid my russian wife's vodka stash?  :P :P :P

Jonathan

• TV and RV:
      2018 RAM 1500 4X4

• Shopping
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 05:15:31 PM »
I don't like mineral spirits because of the smell and I'm never sure if there is a slight oily film left. Alcohol is my go-to for final caulking prep. The price increase has me using it very sparingly however!
Agreed.  Mineral spirits has impurities in it.  It is a cornucopia of leftovers from distillation processes ;) Which may be why it has any oily residue.