Old forum Archive
This is where all the topics from the old forum that was shutdown are saved in a read-only forum. You can refer to it on this forum by using a link or copying the data over.
http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/

Author Topic: Portable solar kit  (Read 133 times)

Sylvain

• TV and RV:
      2015 Silverado

• 2013 13QBB
    • View Profile
Portable solar kit
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:43:15 PM »
Hello everyone,
I was thinking about adding a portable 100w solar panel to our camping equipment.  Can the solar gurus of this forum tell me if this is a good choice! 

https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Monocrystalline-Foldable-Waterproof-Controller/dp/B079JVBVL3/ref=sr_1_8?crid=5QIVUVF3IGYY&keywords=foldable%2Bsolar%2Bpanel&qid=1589991755&sprefix=Foldable%2Bsol%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-8&th=1

DavidM

• TV and RV:
      2013 Nissan Pathfind

• Camplite 16 TBS
    • View Profile
Re: Portable solar kit
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:03:59 PM »
The kit is ok- Renogy makes good stuff, but you can buy individual components- panel and controller on Amazon for less than half, but you wouldn't get the adjustable  mount.

David

Sylvain

• TV and RV:
      2015 Silverado

• 2013 13QBB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
Ok thanks David.  I'll have a look at the individual components.

Merlin

• Global Moderator
    • TV and RV:
      2017 Land Cruiser

• 2015 Camplite 16TBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »
Every time I see $ followed by cdn I gasp a bit. Things are so much more $ in our neighbor to the north!  I agree with Davidís points and would add one more. Note the weight of the suitcase style portable panels. I tried one a couple years ago (a Samlex) and returned it in part because it was too heavy for me to regularly haul around the campsite and stow/deploy. Your situation may be different. I went with a Renogy 100 watt flexible panel with long cables and a separate charge controller right in my battery box. There are quite a few threads on solar on this forum so run a search or 2 to get some ideas.
Michigan

DavidM

• TV and RV:
      2013 Nissan Pathfind

• Camplite 16 TBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »
Also check out the solar panel article in the November 2017 newsletter. A couple of corrections due to later developments:

200 and 150 watt 12v nominal panels are now available on Amazon at a reasonable price.

Renogy sells some decent controllers, both PWM and  MPPT (MPPT delivers 10-15% more power) at good prices.

David

Sylvain

• TV and RV:
      2015 Silverado

• 2013 13QBB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
Every time I see $ followed by cdn I gasp a bit. Things are so much more $ in our neighbor to the north!  I agree with Davidís points and would add one more. Note the weight of the suitcase style portable panels. I tried one a couple years ago (a Samlex) and returned it in part because it was too heavy for me to regularly haul around the campsite and stow/deploy. Your situation may be different. I went with a Renogy 100 watt flexible panel with long cables and a separate charge controller right in my battery box. There are quite a few threads on solar on this forum so run a search or 2 to get some ideas.

You are so right Merlin.  Everything here is soooo expensive here in Canada.  Very frustrating.  This solar panel kit that I posted a link of was 299$ CDN at the moment I posted the link.  One day later the price went up to 522$ CDN ????  Go figure.  I'm not going to pay 522$ for this thing.  I also agree that the weight is on the heavy side.  It might be annoying to deal with that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:56:52 AM by Sylvain »

Sylvain

• TV and RV:
      2015 Silverado

• 2013 13QBB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 08:20:33 PM »
Also check out the solar panel article in the November 2017 newsletter. A couple of corrections due to later developments:

200 and 150 watt 12v nominal panels are now available on Amazon at a reasonable price.

Renogy sells some decent controllers, both PWM and  MPPT (MPPT delivers 10-15% more power) at good prices.

David

Thanks again David,
I will sure have a look at this.  We already have a 185W panel on the roof of our trailer.  I want a portable kit to improve our solar capacity when boondocking.