LL 21BHS Slide out left side motor track area loud squeaking noise

Started by Fatdog2, November 17, 2019, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

I'm trying to figure out why the left side of my slide out is making a loud squeaking noise when the slide goes out. It starts and stop at different sections of the slide. It does it more when it goes out than when it goes in. I have lubed it with dry lube as per MFR of slide gear and rollers several times and it stopped some but then returned. I can't see any weird wear patterns on the gear. To get to the motor I would have to pry the wood trim off the aluminum slide as it's glued on with roof caulking and it's right next to the refrigerator wall so no room to put put ones arm in to look behind the inner seal. Any recommendations or thoughts please let me know.
Thanks, Peter 

Merlin

First, on my Camplite the wood trim you mentioned is just light plastic and pretty much fell off when I went to look behind it. You might find it pops right off. But, of course most of what's back of the trim is accessible outside when the slide is out. I did a quick Google search on RV slide Squeaking and got lots of information and YouTube's. Give that a try for ideas.
Michigan

Fatdog2

I did the same search today.  I followed the Lippert Schwintek In-Wall Slideout lube recommendation and watched the video. That's why I'm a bit baffled by the noise its making.  Today I also found a video on how to removed the gear and rack assembly along with parts list for Standard and Composite bearing blocks. The campers in storage, in the near future I was going to take a good look at it and remove the wood trim. One thing that's has bothered me about my slide is the gap comparing the top and bottom outer D seal. I can't imagine a gear jumping a teeth or several teeth. I guess anything possible.  I don't recall if the slide has always been like this. I would think the top would fit tighter to keep rain water out. Maybe some one else that has a 21 ft unit could compare or look at the outer seal area to see if it equal or a gap at the bottom end of slide. The one photo is the top and the screw driver picture is the bottom end of the slide out.   

thanks, Peter

DavidM

There have been a few reports of the side walls coming loose at the bottom and pushing out an inch or so. They are held in place with small self tapping screws that screw into the frame, but apparently they are too small. This may be causing the wall not to line up properly with the slide out and squeek.

I am probably not describing the problem well, but search here as well as the LivinLite site and you should find it. Get under your trailer and eyeball the wall lineup and it may become clearer.

Good luck.

David

Merlin

Here are a couple thread on the problem David's referring to.

https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=934.0

Hmmm....I see from previous posts you're onto to the loose wall issue already. That explain the slide squeak?
Michigan

Powder Hounds

Search for Loose Wall 21 BHS, not sure how to post this link?

I had to fix our wall as well.

Pretty easy to correct the problem, if it is your wall you may have a lot of dust coming in after traveling, that was my first indication.

Good luck!

Fatdog2

I found the loose wall on my 21BHS and posted about it with pictures, which I fixed. My wall which was loose on the right side and the noise is on the left side which was not loose. Maybe the loose wall put an uneven stress on the left gear tracks and motor assembly but I fixed that in April and the noise started about 2 months ago. I'm going to do some disassembly and see if I can get a closer look at it when the weather clears.  here's a picture of loose wall outside photo as you can see the hole on lower edge of the wall where they screws were too small and wall popped out.

Here's the In-Wall Slide-Out repair kit manual site which is right above the picture of the camper wall.   I also found a resource for parts so I might take it apart one day and really look it over and see what up. Here's the website that sells Lippert slide parts, https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Lippert-379060-Standard-Bearing-Block-Repair-p/379060.htm

thanks for the ideas everyone