Clearance and side lights source and lessons learned

Started by Fatdog2, April 28, 2019, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

I wanted to share info on LL clearance and side light replacement as one of clearance lights had water in it and side light was cracked. I purchase new light from E-trailer as they carry Optronics Yellow clearance lights and side lights in red and yellow.  After removing the lights I notice that side lights were screwed down to tight, causing them to bend and as the plastic got older it eventually cracked.

The yellow clearance light were installed with tapered head self drilling screw. The screw head is to large and gets stuck about 1/4" up from the screw hole base. I believe this causes pressure against the lens which might have cracked the screw hole part of the lens and the screws cut threads in the base as the hole was smaller than the overall screw diameter. I suspect water got in though the screw hole as the units are completely sealed. I went to hardware store to get Philips button head  screw of the same size tread so that I wouldn't have to drill new holes. I put the screw in a electric drill, and with file mounted in vice, I shaved down the diameter of the screw head so that it would fit into the lens mounting hole and all the way to the bottom. I touched up the screw heads with some paint. I also drilled the lens mounting hole to accommodate the screw, so the threads don't cut into the lens.  Then using a plastic straw, I fished the straw and wires in though the camper wall. I mounted the lens in it's original position and using same screw holes. I used a screw driver to tighten the lens down and crush the foam sealing piece that comes with the light. (No power tools to keep from have the light go cockeyed and or torquing down to hard cracking the base). Then caulked around the light and the screw holes.

The side light I used sealing putty around the wire holes and installed them, tightening up the screw enough to hold the light, but with causing them to bend from the diamond plate ridges. Then caulked around them too.  I don't for see having any more issues.

Optronics LED Trailer Clearance or Truck Cab Light - Submersible - 15 Diodes - Triangle - Amber Lens  Item # CBL22AB

LED Clearance or Side Marker Light with Reflector - Submersible - 2 Diodes - Rectangle - Red Lens  Item # MCL40RB

Merlin

Thanks for the numbers of the correct lights. Good work on the seals. If those things get water in them, they go dark quickly!  Others have had water leak all the way into the camper from the lack of factory sealing.
Michigan

keeena

Thanks for posting! I've been meaning to replace 2 lights and big help to have the P/N.