Orbital Machine Works 3.5" Lift Kit and 14" wheel upgrade for 13 RDB

Started by Scout, July 20, 2015, 02:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

lift kit installed. new 14" wheels from eTrailer. Bf Goodrich LT all terrain T/As.

PEIslander

"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

rideandfly

Bill

Merlin

Michigan

Paul

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Scout

Islander,

The install wasn't too bad. Took about 4 hours - including finding enough cribbing for the trailer (the jack stands were a bit small for the height required). On the driver's side I had to remove some of the 13 RDB's plumbing brackets (midship bathroom) so I could flex the sewer pipe away from the axle bracket. Other than that it was just removing 4 bolts and replacing them onto the blue box tube provided by the kit. It probably could have gone quicker if I had used air tools, but my compressor was buried in the garage so I did it all by pulling wrenches. It also rained for 20 min so I ducked in side for a sandwich and a pepsi...

I figure I have about 4-5" added height & now have a bit more of a safety factor with the 14" LT tires than with the 13"  Lions Head POS tires (6 Flats in a year! and sidewall cracking on the spare!). Need to look at that portable step you posted to solve the "big step" problem.

After the install I now see why the Dexter custom kit has open U channel instead of box tube. The box tube is stronger, but the U channel would be way easier to install on the RDB due to the plumbing.

Thanks for the props! I will let you all know how it works out once on the road...

KC :D

PEIslander

I have the same tires on the small but mighty Camplite 11FDB (It has the factory off-road package)...

The last time I was camping a lady drove past our site, stopped, backed up, rolled down the window, stuck her head out and said to me: "Wow I've never seen A/T tires on a camper before --- AWESOME!", then gave me two thumbs up, and drove off in a cloud of dust to circle Loop B.

As I polished off my alcoholic drink I pondered her comment and thought: "I've never met a woman before who knew what A/T tires are".  Even if there are others I'd bet they don't care to comment. Strange to know there are A/T tire groupies out there.  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

Merlin

Sometime, just for jollies, hop over to the Toyota Landcruiser forum at IH8MUD.com. You'll find A/T tire groupies for which tires are akin to religion, and some are women.
Michigan

Oregon camper

We have the same tires on our factory off road pkg on the 13 BHB and they go anywhere. We noticed that the spare, though is the regular wheel and tire. Do you know if the bigger size wheel/tire combo will fit in the same spare spot?

rideandfly

Here's a link to Kenda ST radial trailer tires. This will give you an idea of 13" & 14" trailer tire dimensions:

Hope this helps!

http://specialty.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/trailer/karrier/
Bill

LivinLite AZ

Quote from: Scout on July 20, 2015, 02:35:03 PM
Islander,

The install wasn't too bad. Took about 4 hours - including finding enough cribbing for the trailer (the jack stands were a bit small for the height required). On the driver's side I had to remove some of the 13 RDB's plumbing brackets (midship bathroom) so I could flex the sewer pipe away from the axle bracket. Other than that it was just removing 4 bolts and replacing them onto the blue box tube provided by the kit. It probably could have gone quicker if I had used air tools, but my compressor was buried in the garage so I did it all by pulling wrenches. It also rained for 20 min so I ducked in side for a sandwich and a pepsi...

I figure I have about 4-5" added height & now have a bit more of a safety factor with the 14" LT tires than with the 13"  Lions Head POS tires (6 Flats in a year! and sidewall cracking on the spare!). Need to look at that portable step you posted to solve the "big step" problem.

After the install I now see why the Dexter custom kit has open U channel instead of box tube. The box tube is stronger, but the U channel would be way easier to install on the RDB due to the plumbing.

Thanks for the props! I will let you all know how it works out once on the road...

KC :D

Hi Scout.

I know this thread has aged a bit, but I'm curious about how this lift has worked out for you after several months on down the road? I will contact OWM regarding availability, as their site links only lead to the one for Casita trailers. http://perfectcasita.com/casita-axle-lift-kit.html Is this the same one you used? If so, was it a direct fit without having to modify anything? I have a 2014 13QBB with the factory off road kit , if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

2014 Camplite 13QBB. TV = 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

LivinLite AZ

Quote from: LivinLite AZ on August 19, 2017, 01:34:33 PM
Quote from: pjcd on August 19, 2017, 08:13:26 AM
Sound like, maybe, little more ground clearance is in order. There are lift kits available for the Dexter axles. Or, swap out the existing axle for one with more agressive angle.

Amen to more GC. I already have the factory off road package. Mine came with the 32ยบ down angle Dexter axle. But as Jim T noted, the CL 13 factory lift is way lower than the standard height of his 16TBS https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=460.0

I spoke with Dan at CL support yesterday and he unofficially suggested just welding in another section of 3" x "2 AL square tube above the existing Dexter axle mounting brackets to gain 3".

I like the idea of the OMW's powder coated bolt on steel solution, since I could do it myself without any fab support. Eeny, meeny...

: ) S

LivinLite AZ

Quote from: Scout on August 22, 2017, 04:52:08 PM
LL AZ,

I thought I would catch up to you on the forum as the PM's we have shared back and forth might have some value to the other readers. The Orbital Machine Works - Perfect Casita Lift is working out well. I've put about 8,000 km on it and it tracks way better than stock. It's been through 2' of snow on mountain tops in and 6" of mud on greasy logging roads. Highway travel works well, however I do get a speed wobble at around 115 km/hr on the BFG AT KO 1 (LT 195 75 R14). The 3.5 box tube is still matched perfectly with the inside radius of the dexter axle hanger. The powder coat has also held up well. Probably better than the CL paint underneath.

With the 3.5 additional height of the box tube, the 14" rim and tire upgrade, the total height of the 13 RDB at level (dry) is about 18.5" at the hitch and also at the rear bumper. Camber and toe in remains the same on the dexter axle, however I do not typically load my unit unit to full payload. The brake lines had just enough slack for he install at maximum down angle plus and inch between the box tube and hanger during fitment.

On the 13 RDB, the midship plumbing is a bit sheltered on my unit, which is likely different than your QBB as the lowest point for the dump valve for me is about 12-14" behind the driver's side wheel at a height of 14.5". The rear bumper (with no rear deck extension) is at 18.5" as well. If I drop the front hitch height 1" on the front, I gain about 3" at the rear bumper. I luckily have a 1/2 ton Silverado where if I need to drop the front, I have the TV hitch weight to do so.

I do notice the increased wind resistance (even with the 5.3 L V8) due to the increase in height, I have also put the wind covers over the roof vents, so that likely raises the profile as well. I haven't scraped the rear bumper yet as I have had good clearance while rolling through parking lots, back alleys, etc. The shorter 13' frame makes for less height loss on the angle.  I have been bit particular on some transitions where the approach angle and the diagonal lever effect and shorten the wheel base while moving from grade to grade and over dips etc. The all aluminum frame is bomb proof and you can really feel how rigid it is. I've checked all my welds and not one of them has cracked. Great welding by the CL team.

The latest mod was to add 4 X 2.5 ton screw down scissor jacks instead of the stock stab jacks that came with the unit: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-2-1-2-ton-rv-scissor-jacks/A-p8516684e (prices are in CAD). These are probably a bit overkill, but they give the height I need (4"-24"). The jacks, mounted on the existing hangers, stick out about an inch beyond the bumper when retracted.  I also replaced the hardware with SS bolts, etc, (the existing jack setup has the anticorrosion gel in between the metal and the aluminum hanger if anyone was wondering). The jacks are about 14" from the ground in the up position. Something like this may offer some protection for your plumbing if your going around a tight inside corner, however I like your skid plate idea as it may put less stress on the frame and welds if you do make contact.

I have seen people install casters or hockey pucks as a wear point for the low hanging parts on their trailers, but I am in Canada and we do tend to get a bit hillbilly up here (especially with our hockey pucks).

I hope the mods go well. Best of luck in the back country (oh yeah, I also have to be a bit creative if I need to change the tire as The height is well beyond my Silverado bottle jack). Happy Camping. Keep us posted on the plumbing, deck mods/skid plate/ and the lift.

KC

LivinLite AZ

Quote from: LivinLite AZ on August 23, 2017, 04:01:41 AM

Hi KC.

Thanks for adding this. I guess I got things a little off thread, but technically ground clearance is related to the topic. Is's so cool to know someone else here is inclined to get off the beaten path and into the slippy stuff! Great info on your experience with the OMW lift.

My 13 came with 24" scissor jacks. I'll see if they are still long enough with another 3.5" of lift. CL support alleges that I already had 3" lift from the factory dexter 32 drop angle. I can't tell what your down angle is from your axle/drum photo. Will 6.5" of lift be overkill? My trailer is leveled out in my backyard on grass, but when I get it on flat ground I'll measure my hitch and bumper heights.

I wonder If I'll have clearance problems if I decide to move up to some 31x15 BFG KOs like the Casita guys like to? I have the same 14s as you do and they seem to measure out just shy of 26" tall. The reason I mention it is that, 31s would add 2.5 more inches of lift by themselves. If I compound my upgrade goals it would lead me into 9" lift territory. I think that's too much, even with my off road bent. Plus, lift derived from tire height is much more useful than axle lowering.

FYI, the Casita lift now comes with tabs welded to the inner nuts to save cursing on install.

Found here for those with Dexter #10 axles: http://perfectcasita.com/casita-axle-lift-kit.html

A the moment, I'm contemplating starting a thread to see if anyone has fitted 31s to their CL, particularly single axle models. That my help direct my path to greater lift heights.

Thanks again!
    Steve

LivinLite AZ

Quote from: LivinLite AZ on August 23, 2017, 06:07:16 PM
Quote from: LivinLite AZ on August 23, 2017, 04:01:41 AM

I wonder If I'll have clearance problems if I decide to move up to some 31x15 BFG KOs like the Casita guys like to? I have the same 14s as you do and they seem to measure out just shy of 26" tall. The reason I mention it is that, 31s would add 2.5 more inches of lift by themselves. If I compound my upgrade goals it would lead me into 9" lift territory. I think that's too much, even with my off road bent. Plus, lift derived from tire height is much more useful than axle lowering.

A the moment, I'm contemplating starting a thread to see if anyone has fitted 31s to their CL, particularly single axle models. That my help direct my path to greater lift heights.

Thanks again!
    Steve

After doing some measurements, I can see that this 31" tire idea is a non starter. Way too much cutting and refabbing to make a case for it. I'll go with the Orbital lift for now. Thanks again to Scout for cluing me in on it.

: ) S