2012 Livin Lite 5ZN 16DBS-New Owner from Kennesaw, GA

Started by regnaDkciN, July 02, 2020, 01:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

regnaDkciN

Bought it 2 weeks ago, 06/19/20. Hooked up at home and replacing everything plastic that I've touched so far (UV brittleness). It's hooked up to water, electric and sewer on pad next to house. Water tank drain valve (female part that's friction welded to tank) has brittled apart (this looks inexpensive, yet tricky to fix).
Gathering up owners manuals to learn how to operate water heater and furnace.
Replaced bathroom vent fan.  Front door has holes. Air conditioner works. Refrigerator works (haven't tested gas or 12 volt). Microwave works. Stovetop works. Replaced 7 pin cable, junction box and breakaway switch on hitch. Added break module to tow vehicle (2014 Outback with 4000lb hitch 600 tongue, tongue weight of trailer is 278lbs). Toilet flushes. Water pump works.
Very clean (like Paul's grandfather in "A Hard Days Night".
Spouse is sewing duvets for beds.
Once i figure out how to operate the water heater, I'll be ready to take her out. (not sure if i need to fix the drain plug on the water tank first?)
Also need to grease wheels, axles, and check brakes.

Merlin

Sounds like fun coming up! You've done a nice job of checking it out. Couple of things to note.....

Make sure the water heater is completely full of water before lighting.

For sure check the tires to make sure they are ok. If they are the original 2012 tires, they will be getting tired (ha, ha) and need replacement. There is a date code on the sidewalk that you can figure out with a Google search.

Clean the battery connections and check the battery water (if it's a flooded lead-acid battery).

The water tank drain valve is possible to replace if it's just the valve. It can be unscrewed and a new one put in. You'll need to fully flush the fresh water system before use. Is the valve operational with something like vice grips on the broken handle in the interim?

And, don't go by the factory specs on the tongue weight. If you have not weighed it yourself with the usual load, do so. I'm pretty sure you'll find it's way over 278. My 16TBS with the same double axle arrangement is over 500 lbs tongue weight when loaded for a trip and going down the road. My 2013 Subaru Outback 6cyl had a max tow rating of 3000 lbs and a max tongue weight rating or 300 lbs (regardless of what hitch was on it). I think the 4cyl was 2700 lbs max (again, regardless of what hitch is used). So, also weigh the whole rig on a local CAT scale to know if you're in the safe range. What trailer brake controller will you be using?

Enjoy the "new" camper. These Camplites are really nice. We just got back from a 700 miles round trip where we camped at a very secluded state forest campground which we had almost to ourselves. It was good for the soul to get out there!
Michigan

Chappy133

I will make a recommendation if you are hooked up to the sewer to not leave open the black tank drain valve.  The black tank works better flooded vs dry.  Once you need to drain your black tank close the grey tank valve a day or two prior.  Drain your black tank first and then use the grey tank to help flush the waste hose. Enjoy your camper it was built well.   
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

regnaDkciN

Thanks, y'all.   I weighed the tongue myself (unloaded).  DrawTite controller. The drain valve female fitting is what crumbled. Shaved the old one off and plastic welded {not spun} a new one on.. Covered the door holes with new aluminum. Ordered awning material. Greased bearings. Still trying to locate 2012 CL16TBS manual. Looking for new brake pads (part number?)  Taking on maiden trip tomorrow from Kennesaw, GA to Belfast, TN (via Monteagle). Trailer tires look ok but not sure how old they are. Traveling with 2 spares and a jack.  replaced both fans and fan covers. Keeping blackwater drain closed is a good idea.  Battery connections new. Water heater and fridge and stove work. AC works.  Still shopping for propane generator (Firman dual fuel inverter?)

regnaDkciN

Hunting down original owners manual and parts list.  Because it's pre 2013 (Thor) it's not so easy.  On first trip with this beauty (Kennesaw, GA to Belfast, TN) via Monteagle, had flat on left front tire.  I carried 2 spares JIC because, although the tires look newish, i suspected some weakening due to being stored in the sun for a few years. Noticed when changing tire and, checking a few times on the trip home, that the spindle and tire were running a lot warmer than the other 3 tires.  Even though i greased them before heading out, i suspect either the wheel bearing nut is too tight or i need a new wheel bearing (part #?).  It does not look out of alignment. Also, I'm planning on changing out all 4 brake pads (part #s).  Other than these expected things, it's a very versatile trailer and can adapt to film and scuba projects quite well.

Merlin

Quote from: regnaDkciN on August 03, 2020, 10:43:19 AM
Hunting down original owners manual and parts list.  Because it's pre 2013 (Thor) it's not so easy.  On first trip with this beauty (Kennesaw, GA to Belfast, TN) via Monteagle, had flat on left front tire.  I carried 2 spares JIC because, although the tires look newish, i suspected some weakening due to being stored in the sun for a few years. Noticed when changing tire and, checking a few times on the trip home, that the spindle and tire were running a lot warmer than the other 3 tires.  Even though i greased them before heading out, i suspect either the wheel bearing nut is too tight or i need a new wheel bearing (part #?).  It does not look out of alignment. Also, I'm planning on changing out all 4 brake pads (part #s).  Other than these expected things, it's a very versatile trailer and can adapt to film and scuba projects quite well.

Here's a link to the generic Camplite owners manual LL used for several years. It will cover basic stuff on yours. There is no parts list for the structure of the camper. You can get parts info for all the appliances by going to their manufacturers web site.

https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=1027.0
Michigan

djsamuel

Quote from: regnaDkciN on August 03, 2020, 10:43:19 AM
Check to make sure your brake pads are not hung up on that hot wheel. 

bcsnave

Camping –
Where friends & marshmallows get toasted at the same time!