RV Show Report

Started by Merlin, January 19, 2018, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

I just attended a large RV show here in Michigan and came away really happy to have an all aluminum trailer. The quality of what I saw at the show was awful, with wood in completely inappropriate places, most siding and internal stuff just stapled on, and parts and pieces already loose and/or falling off. It seemed worse than when we last attended a show 2 years ago. We went to find some new seating for our slide and managed to come up with one sofa that wasn't too bad a quality. Prices ranged from 4 figures to 6 figures for campers and I sure can't imagine paying big money for what I saw. I can only assume that somewhere there is a big sub-industry recycling rotted, moldy campers. Those I saw aren't going to last long out on the road.
Michigan

Paul

I always go to the local RV show and I feel the same as you. I am glad of what I have!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

djsamuel

I agree with both of you.  My wife and I will go to an RV store to look around and come out thinking how much nicer our 21BHS is.  It amazes me that after over 4 years, our Camplite is just as solid as the day we bought it; and more solid than a typical RV in a showroom.

USCG

Wife and I went to an RV show in Atlanta last weekend, it was my first and last, I will NEVER do that again, it was so crowded you could barley move, and people were rude walking right in front of us and standing in doorways talking and just being stupid, and the kids.....  the kids were out of control, but atleast with them, they are kids and exploring campers so I can't blame them, they were having fun, but my patients was worn thin by the end of the day .

I was glad to have my livin lite as well, my camper just turned 5, sits outside in the rain, and looks like new

Capt J-rod

Now, now guys. You only witnessed planned obsolescence at it's finest. Next time you go camping late at night when everyone is asleep, step outside your trailer... If you are really quiet and listen very closely, you can hear the other campers leaking and rotting away. As Camplite owners we need this to happen and go full circle. I just tried to book reservations for this summer and everything was taken. Every year more trailers are competing for fewer campsites. Camplite appears to have been born during the recession when gas guzzlers were all laid to rest thanks to high fuel prices. This will occur again and we will be free to roam the nation in our 10 year old paid off trailers. Others will be staring at their 20 year payment book trying to figure out what that strange odor is in their Jayco and wondering why there is a strange brown spot on the ceiling. Elkart is pumping out so much trash so fast that no one can even keep up. Money and credit are easier than ever and people love that paycheck to paycheck bigger better faster life style. Banks will lend on anything. It won't be tomorrow, or even next year, but I assure you, this to shall come to pass. LOL.

DavidM

Unfortunately I am afraid you are right, we didn't learn anything from the Great Recession or the dot com bust or even the Great Depression. We live for the moment, but we will pay the price someday with foreclosures and bankruptcies like nine years ago.

The boom and bust cycle goes on and on...

David

Capt J-rod

The recession is what allowed me to get where I am today. I bought those foreclosed homes for pennies and made them rentals. I invested every dime I could scrape into stocks to ride it back up. With every "change" good or bad comes opportunity. The secret is positioning yourself to take advantage. I really don't like the taste of peanut butter and jelly with Kraft macaroni and cheese, but I will tell you that I ate more than my fair share in the past. LOL.