TPMS

Started by Merlin, March 15, 2019, 11:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Last summer on our trip back to Michigan from the Canadian Rockies, we picked up a small nail in the right front tire of our camper. It caused a very slow leak that I caught early by checking tire pressure every morning. I could not find the nail during our trip because it had a small head and was buried deep in the tire tread. So every morning I added a couple PSI to the tire. When we got home, I removed the wheel/tire, cleaned it up, and found the nail. It was repairable and the tire has not leaked since.

After that experience, I decided to buy a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) for the camper. I looked at a wide variety of systems available, from stand-alone devices to those interfaced to a smartphone. There has been quite a revolution in these systems as new sensors and smart devices have come available. In my tow vehicle, I use an iPad with Google maps for navigation and it would have been easy to install an app and sensors for TPMS.

When I finished my research, I ultimately decided that for me, manually checking tire pressure each morning before hitting the road was the best way to go. That forces me to look at each wheel/tire every day as I check pressure, which is a very good thing. I also look at each tire and feel it and the bearings at every gas station. The constant manual checking and visual inspection is probably the best way for me to avoid surprises. So, for me, I decided I am the best TPMS for my camper and tow vehicle.

As an interesting aside, back when steam-driven ships were common on the Great Lakes, the ships had an on-board job called an "oiler". That person's job was to "tickle" the bearings of the engine and propulsion system to literally feel for hot or rough bearings. I now think of my personal TPMS as "tickling" the tires.

For those interested in a good article summarizing TPMS as well as a buying guide to systems available now, here is a link to a recent one in Trailer Life.

http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/watch-your-back-rv-tpms-buyers-guide/

Michigan

MitchB

So even though you ultimately decided to be a "tickler" (the imagination will suffice for the rest of that) did your research lead to a TPMS that seemed to be best in class?
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

Diversteve

This is the one we bought.
It is very comforting to look at the screen and know that all is well.
After driving beside two vehicles in less than one hour that experienced blowouts my mind was made up.
TireMinder TM55c Tire Pressure Monitoring System

nhlakes

Definitely nice to have.  We added one prior to our Jan trip to/from FL and they do provide some piece of mind.  You can set them to alarm if they drop to a certain PSI which will may provide an early warning (if you're lucky)

We picked up this one, but they're all probably similar. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7BFCJ6/

ADR

I carry an IR thermometer with me.  At gas stops I walk around and shoot all the tires on the tow vehicle and the trailer.   A tire that is much hotter than another is likely low on air.

I also shoot the hubs on the trailer- again if one is a lot hotter than another- there is an issue, low grease or bad bearing etc.

Never in years of doing this have I spotted or had a hub issue but I have caught a few tires that were low when alerted by the higher temp then checked with a gauge.

Merlin

Great idea on the IR thermometer! I have one with me camping to check bearings, etc, but I have not used it on tires. Will do that now!
Michigan

Merlin

Quote from: MitchB on March 15, 2019, 11:49:02 AM
So even though you ultimately decided to be a "tickler" (the imagination will suffice for the rest of that) did your research lead to a TPMS that seemed to be best in class?

I didn't decide on a personal favorite, but Trailer Life magazine has their "Reader's Choice" awards in the January 2019 issue. The top 3 TPMS, in order, were TireMinder, Truck Systems Technologies, and Garmin.
Michigan

DavidM

The three top rated Trailer Life TPMSs are all in the $300+ range. What is wrong with the $40 one that nhlakes noted above?

David

Merlin

Well, we all know that more expensive is better. The $300 units are obviously more than 7 times better than a $40 unit.  ;)
Michigan

DavidM

Thanks, Merlin.

I think I will save $260 and buy the $40 one. Sure it is Chinese but recently I have had better experience with Chinese stuff- the $30 Drok battery monitor system which is crude but works well, so I am willing to risk it.

David