Camplite 17-19 21BHS, 21RBS, 23RKS and 23RLS Recall for failed drawbars.

Started by ADR, October 26, 2018, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Good work. Overall, it looks significantly reinforced and having the factory welds inspected is great. Have you moved the camper to your seasonal site? 
Michigan

Paul

Quote from: Merlin on May 01, 2019, 09:29:08 AM
Good work. Overall, it looks significantly reinforced and having the factory welds inspected is great. Have you moved the camper to your seasonal site?

It is currently in my driveway. My seasonal site open May 15. Can't wait!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

ADR

Quote from: Merlin on April 27, 2019, 09:57:32 PM
Thanks for posting the photos ADR. Letting others know about the continuing weld defects could literally save lives. If you haven't already, use the NHTSA site at safercar.gov to report this.

Been trying!  The NHTSA website never will accept the forms I've filled out- complete the form- hit submit and after several minutes of a spinning "submitting" avatar I get  >

Gateway Timeout
The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.
Reference #1.2c8eedcc.1556744724.28ecebd

Tried twice today- will try again tomorrow.

Gotta love our government..... :-\

EDIT- Never could get their online form to go through- they did email me a PDF to fill out- but you can't submit pictures.
So now they have emailed me back wanting pictures :P

Coincidentally I received an email from a warranty guy at KZ saying they will take care of it and do I know anyone who can weld ;D

EDIT- opened a case with the NHTSA.    Also waiting on KZ to ship the repair kit to a local welding shop.  I asked for notification when it ships and tracking info..so far nothing.

EDIT- this is getting frustrating- on May 6 I asked the warranty guy at KZ to let me know when the kit to repair would ship and please provide a tracking number.  I ask again on May 9.   Nothing.   Now another week has passed and still no kit, no word on when.   Very poor customer service.
The welding shop is busy and I need to get in line but I have to know when the kit will show up.   
I don't consider my trailer safe to travel as it is and I have places to go.

EDIT- this just keeps getting worse.  Tried calling the warranty guy on Fri May 17 and of course had to leave a message.
He calls back on Mon May 20 and appears to not know about my trailer and our previous email discussions.  He finally finds it in their system and says he doesn't know why the "kit" hasn't shipped but he'll find out "right now" and email me back. 
Now MAy 21 and no contact.
Meanwhile took the trailer down to the aluminum welding experts and we devised a plan to reweld all the cracks, and do a little reinforcing perhaps so I can use my trailer until KZ gets off their tails and sends the kit.

BTW the welding shop owner was astounded at how LL built the tongue- this guy has built many custom trailers and could not believe how they attempted to transition between the large frame sq tubing and the smaller tongue sq tubing with butt welds on aluminum.
We both wondered why they didn't just continue on with the same tubing size to the ball mount.   

ADR

Decided to post an extension to my last post-  I suspect since I did so many edits it never triggers as a "new post".
Another week has gone by with zero contact from KZ about the shipment of my repair kit.

I think the welding shop owner and I have figured out a better way to repair and reinforce than the "official" kit.   I really don't like KZ's plan- as I cannot mount the spare on the back as they intend- already have an AL platform there to carry my pair of Honda generators.

Merlin

Quote from: ADR on May 24, 2019, 05:23:36 PM
Decided to post an extension to my last post-  I suspect since I did so many edits it never triggers as a "new post".
Another week has gone by with zero contact from KZ about the shipment of my repair kit.

I think the welding shop owner and I have figured out a better way to repair and reinforce than the "official" kit.   I really don't like their plan- as I cannot mount the spare on the back as they intend- already have an AL platform there to carry my pair of Honda generators.

Good move to just git 'er done. Pro welders can do wonders.
Michigan

ADR

I think we see one reason the frames crack at the junction between sizes-   they did not weld the butt joint under the reinforcing plates.   
Should have been welded.
Then the weld under the plate would be ground flat removing part of it but the aluminum would still be fused due to the weld penetration.
THEN add the reinforcing plate over the entire area.
Haven't looked at inside yet- but it is probably the same.

Pic below is of no weld under reinforcing plate.

Oh- BTW I have received no further contact from KZ since the promise to call me back on May 20.   Of course the welding shop does not want to bill LL/KZ directly (don't blame them) so I'll have to pay and attempt to get it back.  We obviously are not using the LL/KZ "kit" since they never would ship it even after a month of asking.

ADR

Got my camper back from the welding shop today- they welded the joint between the drawbar and main frame and then spanned all of it with 3/8" plate- very stout!
An email was also dispatched to KZ requesting reimbursement of the $400 charge for the work. For 5 weeks I tried to get them to send the kit, it never arrived and I couldn't wait any longer.   We'll see how that goes.

Below is a pic of the added reinforcement made from 3/8" plate- the frame tubing is only about 3/16"

Merlin

I suspect $400 will let KZ off cheap because the parts+shipping+labor for their kit could easily be more than that. However, I doubt you'll ever see any money from them. I like that repair on your camper and I think this is another case where the next owner will get a better-than-factory camper from you someday.  ;)
Michigan

ADR

Quote from: Merlin on June 06, 2019, 07:57:03 PM
I suspect $400 will let KZ off cheap because the parts+shipping+labor for their kit could easily be more than that. However, I doubt you'll ever see any money from them. I like that repair on your camper and I think this is another case where the next owner will get a better-than-factory camper from you someday.  ;)

I am still under factory warranty and I pointed out in my request for reimbursement that I tried for 5 weeks to do it their way and could wait no longer- we have places to go.   I have documentation of all the emails and phone calls with no resolution.
So we'll see....

What we really need is for additional 16TB/DB-S owners to file a complaint with the NHTSB- so far mine is the only one filed.   I sort of doubt it will be a recall with only one complaint but, who knows?
There are probably many of the 16's running around where the owners have no clue. 

ADR

Guess what showed up at the welding shop after 6+ weeks of trying?
A box with a rear spare carrier and a bunch of triangular aluminum plates.   That was all- no sq/rectangular tube.

A week or so back the warranty guy told me I need to do the full recall to get paid- so I asked "Are you saying my trailer IS under recall?"

He came back with "no I checked, it's not part of the recall so I'll submit your bill to be paid"

Then a week and a half later some of the recall parts showed up.....

Merlin

Quote from: ADR on June 15, 2019, 02:44:38 PM
Guess what showed up at the welding shop after 6+ weeks of trying?
A box with a rear spare carrier and a bunch of triangular aluminum plates.   That was all- no sq/rectangular tube.

A week or so back the warranty guy told me I need to do the full recall to get paid- so I asked "Are you saying my trailer IS under recall?"

He came back with "no I checked, it's not part of the recall so I'll submit your bill to be paid"

Then a week and a half later some of the recall parts showed up.....

Thanks for continuing to post about this mess. I know it's a huge hassle for you, but at least it's been entertaining reading!  :o
Michigan

DavidM

It has been entertaining. It shows how horrible, horrible, horrible Thor is at dealing with warranty/recall issues. Why anyone would want to buy anything from a Thor company is beyond me.

David

ADR

So last week a second box showed up at the welding shop with several 7' long pieces of aluminum sq/rectangular tubing...none of which appear to be the correct length.   84 lbs of it.

Question for Paul or anyone who had the recall done-   did the pieces KZ shipped come already cut to size?

Merlin

Quote from: ADR on June 22, 2019, 04:04:40 PM
So last week a second box showed up at the welding shop with several 7' long pieces of aluminum sq/rectangular tubing...none of which appear to be the correct length.   84 lbs of it.

Question for Paul or anyone who had the recall done-   did the pieces KZ shipped come already cut to size?

Because it's happening to you, I suspect you can't see the humor in this. But it's a legendary story in the making. This should be written up when it's all done as an example of how awful some manufacturers are at recalls.
Michigan

Paul

Quote from: ADR on June 22, 2019, 04:04:40 PM

Sorry I just saw this now, they were already cut to size
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS