Making a deck out of ramp door

Started by jryan, June 12, 2015, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jryan

Just bought an 8.5x20 VRV & would really like to "deck" out the back end...specifically the ramp.  I saw a picture somewhere of somebody that installed some kind of adjustable support legs on top of ramp door.  When door comes down, you can pivot the legs & adjust them so door can be used as a deck.  Anyone know what make/model of support those are?  Or have photos of their unit with those installed?

rideandfly

jryan,

Welcome!

Saw the same photos somewhere and believe it was the new LivinLite Ignite Toy Hauler. Search the Ignite, that may turn up what you are looking for!
Bill

WWBushhog

JRyan,
Just wanted to share some of our personal journey in finding our final cargo door/deck solution, as well as the creativity of other toy hauler owners who are finding enjoyment with their cargo door decks!  That journey captured on this link:
http://livinlite.proboards.com/thread/726/cargo-door-back-patio

It was because of the versatility that the rear cargo door offers that we purchased a toy hauler...not because we have toys!  Have not regretted our decision. 

Okay, have rear door pics from last trip to share, but no luck posting just now.  Will try later.  Meanwhile, check out the posts per the link above.  Have fun!   8)

rideandfly

Those decks in the link look very nice!
Bill

WWBushhog

Yes, and we have a couple of newer 'view from the rear' photos, and though we did 'resize', still no success posting.  We'll PM Paul for help, which he has offered...thanks, Paul!

Rideandfly, you replied to our query on using 'smiley' faces.  As we understand your take on our query, the smiley face options offered here are inadequate for us....oh no!  Not the case, but rather, we now see that while posting, the yellow smiley face does not appear until the final post; one difference from the LLproboard.  So, thanks, RideandFly, for help with this. 

Wouldn't it just take the prize for griping if we grumbled about lack of smiley face options...lol!  Not the case at all...just on a learning curve right now.   ;D

Paul

Quote from: WWBushhog on June 19, 2015, 03:40:10 PM
Yes, and we have a couple of newer 'view from the rear' photos, and though we did 'resize', still no success posting.  We'll PM Paul for help, which he has offered...thanks, Paul!

Rideandfly, you replied to our query on using 'smiley' faces.  As we understand your take on our query, the smiley face options offered here are inadequate for us....oh no!  Not the case, but rather, we now see that while posting, the yellow smiley face does not appear until the final post; one difference from the LLproboard.  So, thanks, RideandFly, for help with this. 

Wouldn't it just take the prize for griping if we grumbled about lack of smiley face options...lol!  Not the case at all...just on a learning curve right now.   ;D

This is actually a good idea to add some smiley face, when I have some time I will look into adding more
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

WWBushhog

This is actually a good idea to add some smiley face, when I have some time I will look into adding more

;D

jryan

WWBushhog,
your 6-17-15 post had a link to a posting for cargo-door-back-patio, and in that post was another post from db (04-05-15) that mentioned he installed adjustable supports that LivinLite suggested.  They hang on outside of door & stay mounted there.  When door comes down, then you adjust support at that time. 

I actually saw photos somewhere of that same thing, but can't find any info on what exactly they are or where to get them.  Sure wish I could...that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I contacted LivinLite but was told the door won't support use as a deck...yada, yada, yada.  But it sure supports my 800# bike going up & down the ramp.  So I'd like to give it a try.  Just gotta find what they are.  If you have any other info or photos, please post.

Thanks...JR

WWBushhog

JRyan,
Just revisited the LLPBoard and copied the link where there remains a couple of photos of two different systems to support a rear cargo door deck.  You have seen this, sounds like, and it does appear that many photos may have been removed in a recent purge to clear up additional storage space. 

http://livinlite-owners.com/thread/726/cargo-door-back-patio?page=2

That said, I've sent 'DB' a PM asking him to visit this forum and help you out.  Whether he visits the Proboard any longer to get my message, I do not know.  We can tell you that DB's LL trailer was a customized toyhauler and the cargo door deck supports were done by LL. 

We got the same information as you from LL on retrofitting our cargo door and told it would costs 'thousands'.  In the end, for us, a simple inexpensive fix has served us well:  two jack stands with a lift from 14 to 20", rubber tipped, around $35 for two from Harbor Freight.  They stow in the front compartment.  Yeah, no railing...but so far, no need.  Here's a recent pic where we grilled on the deck facing the Atlantic, then slept on the Happi-Jac with cargo door open all night, screen down.  What a dreamy experience...listening to the waves, looking at the starlit night and bright moon and then later way off in the east, watch the outline of clouds leading a storm toward us.  It was one of a kind night.  We love that rear cargo door and the world it opens up to us.  But sorry, we've never thought of taking pictures of those jack stands!  :o

jryan

Thanks WWBushhog,
You might have a point that simple jackstands might work just fine.  One question though, do they stay in place well enough & not fall over from movements on the deck?

On etrailer.com, I did find Domar Trailer Jacks (TJ01RT) that sound like what I was originally looking for.  Without knowing exactly how the door is constructed, a guy might be a bit nervous drilling holes thru it to mount these, but then again if you keep them to the outside, there should be framing there.  I sure would like a handy how to guide though!

I've seen others that mount a couple of cables to hold it...I could do that too but past experience tells me those always get in the way.

BTW, I found a sticker on my ramp door that says it's rated for 2500#...so that should hold my wife & I with no problems.

Livinlite Paul

Yes the Ignite toy hauler has a porch option.  This option though has to be done at the time of production.  It cannot be retrofitted to an existing ramp door out in the field.

Paul

rideandfly

Bill

jryan

Quote from: Livinlite Paul on July 29, 2015, 11:45:00 AM
Yes the Ignite toy hauler has a porch option.  This option though has to be done at the time of production.  It cannot be retrofitted to an existing ramp door out in the field.
Paul

Hey Paul,
Can you give further details on why some kind of option can't be added to a VRV ramp after production time? 
There seem to be a few guys that have either installed cables, Domar trailer jacks, or just prop the ramp up on jack stands...and they don't seem to have any problems with the ramp door.  But there seem to be a LOT more guys that would love to be able to do something to use the ramp as a deck even though it wasn't done at production time.  So just wondering why there isn't some way we can do something afterwards. 
Thanks for the info!
JR

jamie

I'm sure the cable supports need some reinforced attachment points on the trailer itself, but the jack underneath seems like such a simple idea. The only drawback I can see is that you might stress the hinge if the jacks aren't level, but that's easy enough to deal with. Could you use the rubber bumpers as a support point? I could see some light weight car safety jacks, maybe with a 2x4 spanning the length with holes half drilled that would accept the bumpers on one side and some sort of bracket that the jack could sit into. Or maybe 4 leveling jacks screwed onto the 2x4 or 2x6 that would turn it into a sawhorse kind of thing that would fold up relatively flat. You could glue some soft carpet onto it to save scratches on the door.

Could anyone post pics of a system they have? The links above don't seem to work for me.