Show off your bike and bike rack

Started by Paul, June 12, 2015, 11:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojospeople

Which bike? Which rack? LOL. DH is a mechanic at our LBS. He is adamant that the bikes ride INSIDE as much as possible. We have a new 16 TBS that we haven't loaded up yet but in the old 13 RDB we could squeeze 4 bikes inside. One laying on the bed, one in the aisle between the kitchen and bathroom and two side by side in front of the jack knife sofa. Looks like this picture has his Salsa Beargrease with summer 29+ wheels on it and my old Safire 26er. Mountain biking is our passion. Camping is what we do to be close to the trailhead. So it's all about the bikes (and dogs) in our family. When not towing I have a 1UP hitch rack that I've grown to like - I didn't at first. Other bikes are my new 2017 Spec. Camber Carbon, 2015 Beargrease, 2015 Camber SWORKS, and the two road bikes. I had a Mukluk 2 before the BG. Loved it! Now if we could just get some snow this winter we could have some real fat tire fun!

Chappy133

2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

pjcd

mojospeople, I agree, inside is alway better, especially with the price of bikes. However, it can't alway be done, the second best, (imo) is in the P/U bed, I took my Thule roof rack and placed it in the bed of my truck and it worked great. I've traveled with them in the bed, on the back, on the top and on the front. The front being the worst, luckly, the only issues I came across with them being up front was lots of smashed bugs all over the bikes.

Diversteve

We use the Swagman rack in a frame mounted front hitch from Etrailer.

tt2retire

FYI on cost, I just got a quote for adding the extra 2x4 as discussed, and for just the welding work, the cost will be $850 (yikes!). This is with me doing all the pre/post rear bumper tail lights wiring removal/installation. Sure wish I could have had this done at the factory. I had a heck of a time finding a welding shop that had the experience and was willing to do the aluminum welding.

gglkap1

I had the 2X4 aluminum added to the trailer about 2 months ago. The aluminum was about $60.00 and the welding was about 2 hrs. at $75.00/hr.

I did the pre/post work of removing the lights too.

Gerald

charliem

tt2retire, I think your welder is on a different planet. I think Gerald's welder is more reasonable. Even so it seems 2 hours labor is high, but so be it.  Look for another welder in a different city and tell him you don't need it welded with gold.

Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Diversteve

On the road again!

tt2retire

Tried another city (Modesto CA) about an hour away, and the price came down from $850 to $330, and they did a really nice job on the welds.

Swagman hitch receiver and Trailhead 4 bike rack installed, along with the Voyager WV0843 backup camera. I also added two straps from the top of the rack to the frame members just for good measure.

I'm using a fork mount bike block for the fifth (kid's) bike to attach to the bottom bunk inside.

Anyone have a total bikes weight on the rear bumper to share? I'm looking at just under 123 lbs of bikes (including one adapter tube and one cable lock) for my setup.

Thanks,
Ed...

Popup2012

Here is one of our bikes in front of our new 2017 F-150 XLT  3.5 with 6 1/2 ft bed.  The bike is a Haibike with Bosch battery and motor.  The bike is pedal assist, so it only provides power when you pedal.  It is a German made bike and really well built.  It can help you power up to 22 MPH but then the motor cuts out.  We go to towns that have great bike trails. One of our favorite is Little Rock,AR.  They have a loop trail along the river the is 35 miles long.  We live in Austin,TX and they have a great trail along the river in downtown also.

pjcd

All ready to go.

Paul

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS