Adding drawers/access for under bed storage in 21RBS, 21BHS

Started by nhlakes, March 21, 2018, 07:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlakes

I tried searching for this in a number of places but came up dry.

Can anyone point me to pics of drawers or general access to the under bed storage of the queen bed on the 21RBS or 21BHS.  I tend to get up much earlier than my wife and it would be nice not to have to lift her and the bed to access anything needed below. ;)

It seems that it would be fairly easy to add drawers or just access to slide out a basket, suitcase, etc...

Fatdog2

I made an access panel door for my 21BHS using a sheet of aluminum, mirror mounting bracket J channel 495599 (Lowes) color is bronze.  Binder Screws, which you can get from Lowes or Taylor Do it Center to hold the flatstock and J channel to panel along with double sided carpet tape.  I had some flat aluminum which I used etching primer and painted black. You can get the aluminum sheet material from home depot or lowes, one side of it has the protective plastic on it as the finished side.  You could find appropriate size cabinet storage pull out baskets on glides that would fit between the frame work which on mine is 10.5" between the frame supports. That would give you some storage options.

The wood color foam panels that LL uses is held on to the frame work with some double sided tape that is pretty sticky and strong. I used a very sharp knife and stiff paint scraper to remove the panel from the square tube frame work once all the black trim metal was unscrewed and removed. It's a real pain to remove the foam board. The wood foam panels cut easy with razor blade knife and I used a drywall square as guide. I made a quick access panel that drops into mirror J channel that's attached to lower frame. You could make a swing open door to cover the opening that you make for under bed access.

I made my access panel using Wood color foam board and aluminum sheet metal, which I scored several times with a razor blade knife, then bend it at scored line hanging just over the edge of work bench and working the metal up and down a bit until it snapped with clean edge. I took a fine file to smooth the edge a little, or sandpaper. I used double sided carpet tape to hold metal to wood colored foam panel. (the carpet tape really sticks too) Then cut out the aluminum and J channel to trim out the panel. I used my miter saw with carbide blade. I find using a pulling, slow plunge action for the cut aluminum, and J channel. I recommend a practice cut and go slow. Shavings will go every where too. The edging, foam and aluminum panel goes into the slot of J Channel. Then I drilled holes to fit in binder screws. Once I got it all figured out put together I took all the parts and primed and painted the raw aluminum and binder posts. I poked holes in cardboard and stuck all binding post in the holes and primed and painted them. It worked for me as far as an access panel, and using it as a door with some hinges it would probably work pretty well too.
Here's some pictures of the access panel, and the last picture is of the wood color foam board removed by microwave wall. You can see the double sided tape and were back of foam board ripped instead of coming off clean.