21BHS with Bunk beds removed and new storage

Started by Fatdog2, April 09, 2018, 08:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

I wasn't sure if I should post this mod or not. We got a wild idea quite some time ago of removing the bunk beds from our 21BHS as we didn't really use them for sleeping and we could better use the space.  I  reconfigured the front coat cabinet too, and made a new compartment and door using the original frame work, door frame, aluminum sheeting and  brown wood pattern foam board. We found the open shelf unit at Ikea during a camping trip to Washington DC, and gray storage boxes. It fit just right over the wheel well storage box and it didn't interfere with the window shades. The other tubular metal with cloth covered closet  fit over the hot water tank compartment and I moved the LED lights forward on the wall. I made a quick access front panel for hot water heater,  for those winter preps access. The wheel well storage door tilts outward on spring loaded cabinet hinges. It's big enough to hold paper towels and toilet paper in and around the sink drain piping.  I added a electrical out on the wall (which is wired into the outside GFI outlet, so it's GFI protected) for hair drier use and sub-woofer power supply. I wired in sound bar under the slide out window, we can hear the TV much better over the A/C Fan Noise. I still have the top bunk bed assemble and the L frame that was screwed to wall.  I ended up using the the lower bed and framing, aluminum sheeting, and wood panel to make everything and bought some aluminum L stock to make brackets to rivet the framing together as needed, while keeping as much of the welded frame work intact to make the boxes over wheel well and HW heater strong and to support the storage units. It worked out really well,  the back end of the camper feels bigger, and no more running into bunk beds. Lucy our beagle lab likes sleeping in corner under the window too.  The hardest part was getting the wood foam panels off the aluminum frame work as LL uses a double sided tape that is really sticky and strong.

Not sure why the pictures are sideways or upside down, just tilt your head or your monitor. LOL...

Diversteve

markdrums

I agree - nice work! 

I have a question about the front wardrobe removal.  Did you have to do much work to repair the front and side walls after removing and reconfiguring the cabinet?  Your photos make it look as if there was never a wardrobe cabinet there.

Thanks!

Fatdog2

The only thing I had to do was caulk the seam along the side and front wall in the corner and remove the caulking were the original cabinet was along the front wall. I added some caulking to the front wall seam gap. I have a piece of wall azdel board that I was going to cut and clue where seam tape is missing, it's a small piece I don't really notice it that much. I could see if some wall paper trim might match as another option. The wardrobe cabinet does fit a little snug and the long cabinet needed an another screw on left end ceiling area, which help support it when I removed the wardrobe cabinet.

Paul

I have rotated the picture correctly. There is a new feature on the forum now that allows you to rotate pictures when you edit your post
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

surfsup1955

Excellent work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk