Adirondack Park Camping

Started by Merlin, February 11, 2017, 08:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Is anyone familiar with camping in Adirondack Park in NY? We are going through there on our way home from Maine this summer and have been stymied by lack of information about camping there (no photos on Reserve America in Adirondack campgrounds for one thing) and by the 2-night minimum stay in NY parks. From my on-line searches, I get the overall impression they (NY parks) don't really want transient campers; they seem to be catering to long-term stays by folks who already know the areas. Based on what I've seen so far, if NY weren't so long a state, we'd probably just drive through and skip camping there. Any insights/reviews from experiences in the Adirondacks would be welcome.
Michigan

pjcd

I've done a fair amount of camping in NY. I usually make reservations for a week at a time. I will say that getting a site during the week day shouldn't be a problem, I always see plenty of available sites (Monday - Thursday). I don't think there is a minimum stay unless your using the reservation system. As for getting a look at potential campgrounds, I just google the one I'm interested in and hit images.

DavidM

We have camped at a couple of NY Adirondacks sites over the last few years.

Last year we went to Rollins Pond, see http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24494.html. This campground is west of Saranac Lake. The virtual tour is a very nice photo layout but of course may not be representative of where you camp. The park has a very long shoreline with campsites all along it. I was surprised that in the middle of the week there were only two available shoreline sites, but we snagged one with no reservation.

The year before we camped on Lake George further to the east at Rogers Rock Campground, see- http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24493.html. We did make a reservation there for two nights. The next night we went to Putnam Pond west of Ticonderoga with no reservation but plenty of sites. OK, but not on the water.

I use the Allstays iPad app (probably have one for Android) to find campgrounds. It has a detailed map that you can zoom in on the area you are looking for and then click on the park's icon. That brings up a little data box and if you click on the top of the box it takes you to the campground's web site. I understand the frustration of finding Adirondack (and USFS) parks by just looking on Google Maps or similar. But Allstays makes it easy. Once you find the campground name with Allstays, Google Maps will pull it up. But if you just zoom in on the area, it is not there. You have to use the name to find it. Wierd.

In general Adirondack campgrounds were similar to USFS campgrounds but maybe with a bit tighter layout. Having done the far west Adirondacks, I don't think we will go back. Too far from Ct and nothing better than closer campgrounds.

We may go back to the Lake George area this summer for a night or two. I would like to try Paradox Lake which is right off of I87 west of Ticonderoga. Maybe we can meetup there.

David

pjcd

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24470.html

Stayed here a couple of times, its a short ride to Lake George Village and the campground has a beach, (small beach). The sites are little tight.

Merlin

I appreciate the replies and info. As we spent more time on the NY state park sites , Adirondack Park sites, and camping apps, we found more info on NY camping, but still not much in the way of really positive reports on public campgrounds. No or few hookups for RVs, frequently pit toilets, limited dump stations, and relatively small sites, etc.  And, since the state park system (including the campgrounds in Adirondack Park) all require a 2 night minimum stay when using the on-line reservation system, we bailed out on using the public campgrounds and made reservations at what appear to be great campsites in private campgrounds for our overnights in NY on the way home. We are fine with not having reservations for camping during most of the year, but in the peak of the camping season the first 2 weeks of August, we prefer to have reservations and know we have a spot. The Good Sam Travel Guide helped a lot and I think we are all set.
Michigan