Reminisces about our favorite rustic campgrounds in the west

Started by DavidM, June 17, 2015, 11:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

Years ago Joan and I spent the better part of three months with no job or children obligations and enough money in the bank to camp in most of the western states before new jobs started in SoCal. Here are some of our favorites.

Olympic National Park- In far west Washington you head up route 101 and follow the Hoh River to a NP campground. You can camp right along side the river. This is a rain forest and there is a fantastic easy hiking trail through the woods. Any tree that falls due to winds, age, etc is quickly consumed. We watched a Moose cross the river just upstream of our campsite.

Glacier National Park- The campsite was great but the highlight was the Going to the Sun road. Twisty up over the mountains with beautiful outlooks.

Gros Ventre Wilderness- I am not sure I could find it again, but from south of Jackon Hole you head east and follow the creek to a man made but naturally fed hot tub. There is a campground close by. The Hot tub is made of mortared rocks and is fed by a naturally occurring hot spring. Below the hot tub there is a more natural pool where you can sit and watch the Moose come to a salt lick a few hundred feet away.

NFS campground south of Truckee, Ca- This campground is a little close to the road but nestles up to a nice creek. The campsite where we stayed was rght next to the creek. It got down to about 25 that night in mid October.

Sequoia National Forest, west of Johnsondale, Ca- This mountainous road west of Johnsondale switches back and forth as it climbs upward and follows a pretty creek. There are two NFS campgrounds along it and the upper one has campsites that abut the creek.

NFS campground north of Sedona- About 10 miles north of Sedona there is a NFS campground on Oak Creek. If you are lucky you can get a campsite that abuts the creek. Sedona itself is almost magical with magnificient views of the Red Rock canyons.

There are at least a dozen more. The west has some great camping. We were there from early September until mid November when it got a bit cold for camping.

Most of these will be hard to find without some help. Dowload the Allstays campground application for iOS or Android. It is the best way to find obscure campgrounds which are the ones we like.

David

Paul

Hi David, thank you for you review it was really fun to read and I wish that one day I will be able to visit those campgrounds.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Quote from: DavidM on June 17, 2015, 11:39:44 AM

Glacier National Park- The campsite was great but the highlight was the Going to the Sun road. Twisty up over the mountains with beautiful outlooks.

David

Thanks for the report. We plan to drive Sun Road this summer during a camping trip! Can't wait!
Bill

J_Westy

Quote from: rideandfly on June 18, 2015, 02:56:23 PM

David

Thanks for the report. We plan to drive Sun Road this summer during a camping trip! Can't wait!

We were there 2 summers ago. Fantastic trip!

A few things:
1) No trailers on the GttSR, so plan accordingly.
2) We ended up moteling/lodging it at Glacier, because the ranger asked if we had a handgun for bears when trying to make a reservation! No go for my wife in the Quicksilver! Maybe it's better this year?
3) Eat at the Park Cafe on the east side of the park. Fantastic Menu and Pie! I think we ate there 3 times!
http://www.parkcafe.us/
edit: I just looked at the website and see they are under new management with a new menu... doesn't look as good :-(
4) Try a red bus tour. We really enjoyed it.
5) Try one of the boat tours. We did the one on Two Medicine Lake followed by the hike with naturalist, and enjoyed it.

J_Westy

rideandfly

Quote from: J_Westy on June 18, 2015, 03:43:34 PM
Quote from: rideandfly on June 18, 2015, 02:56:23 PM

David

We were there 2 summers ago. Fantastic trip!

J_Westy

Appreciate the tips!!!!!
Bill

WWBushhog

Sure rousing our interest in heading west!  Will add to our bucket list along with the northeast in the fall.  Still have to figure out this rumored thing called retirement....sigh.  ???