Post ‘shake-down’/pre-trip north weigh-in

Started by Lily, May 22, 2021, 07:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

Per Merlin's suggestion: took the 2017 21rbs to the scales at nearby service center.  Full fuel in Ridgeline, minimal cargo, DW & Lily (16 lbs) + me; Camplite unloaded w/o water, food, bedding but w/ approx. 75 lbs. misc. supplies. Certified scale showed combined weight of 8640 lbs!  Fully loaded Ridgeline w/ full fuel & all cargo on trip south w/o camper weighed 5100lbs.  Allowing for 100 lbs. cargo on south leg shows UVW (w/ fuel & personnel incl. Lily)  at 5000 lbs. +or- & resulting 21rbs weight @ 3640 (!?).  Factory sticker on camper says UVW = 3620 & tongue weight approx. 10%.  Did our 21rbs go on a diet lately? Not complaining, but it's a head-scratcher.  Will weigh again when fully-loaded & will report as we head north soon. BTW: Atlantic FL beaches being hit W/ tons of Sargasso Grass so be advised if headed this way.

Merlin

Good news on the accuracy of the factory UVW rating! Overall, as weighed, you are 1346 lbs shy of the absolute max for the Ridgeline which has a gross combined weight rating of 9986 lbs (assuming it's AWD). As a matter of personal preference, I don't like to push very close to absolute weight limits, so IMHO you'll want to carefully consider what you take with you and you'll want to think about the value of traveling with all 3 tanks fairly empty. I bet that's a nice looking setup going down the road  :)
Michigan

Lily

Thank you, Merlin! Will try to do 'right' & report regularly as seems appropriate.  Still not sure about a WDH as Honda is quite equivocal w/ regards to it.  Will likely consider an Anderson if anything at all.  Hoping to embark on a trans-national journey in early July to see granddaughters in Santa Barbara, CA so may have much to report.  First, home to VT by slow road up East Coast.  Would welcome all/any comments from Camplite family who tow with Honda's or similar independent suspension vehicles 3500 lbs. campers.