Rear bumper mounted accessories, like bike rack

Started by gzelna, February 10, 2021, 08:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gzelna

Seen plenty of these (hitch haulers, bike racks, canoe racks, even small motorcycles) on the steel frame TT's rear bumpers , but what about these welded aluminum ones we have ? I dont see anything as far as a load rating, even if its '0'. Curious if anyone has successfully installed and used anything more substantial than a plastic black tank discharge hose holder back there.

DavidM

There are a few threads on this forum and in the archives about using the bumper. They always entail reinforcing it with another horizontal square tube welded to the support arms. Even still I wouldn't put more than 100 lbs on it, and zero without reinforcing.

David

gzelna

I didn't take pics but on further inspection (not too awfully thorough) I see how your reinforcing suggestion would be one of the few workable solutions. Not many other options since is a large tank inboard right there - other than adding another welded in Aluminum 'doubler' to the existing single cross member there now.

charliem

I will add that the "doubler" must be properly positioned forward of the existing bumper and welded to the frame rails to protect the factory weld joints. This has been discussed and pictured in previous posts on this forum.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

bae146

I installed the doubler and was using the rear bumper for a couple of bikes with a 2" receiver hitch. This worked great for about 4 years. Last year while driving HWY 11 near Jasper there was a huge dip in the road where the asphalt was missing and the hwy crews had replaced it with gravel.  Not a big deal except the sign for reduced speed was way to close to the dip, so everyone that hit the gravel was full on their brakes.  this splashed out the gravel and left about a 2 foot drop in road surface.  I am sure my trailer got air going through that.  Needless to say the welds were ripped from the frame. ( The weld did not fail, it tore the base metal) I now have a front receiver hitch on the ford for the bikes...

Merlin

Wow, quite the story! Not much could take a hit like that!
Michigan

Pinstriper

Front mounted hitches on the tow vehicle are an undervalued approach.

Chappy133

Just added this rear mounted accessory today. I have a factory installed 4X4 rear bumper.

2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

Quote from: Chappy133 on March 12, 2021, 06:22:11 PM
Just added this rear mounted accessory today. I have a factory installed 4X4 rear bumper.

I need to set up a portable tank carrier like that. in addition to the 4x4 bumper, what did you do for mounting?
Michigan

Chappy133

2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Merlin

Quote from: Chappy133 on March 14, 2021, 08:43:59 PM
Camco @ Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rhino-Bumper-Mount-Carrier/dp/B07P8B9WHD

Easy just bolted around our 4X4 bumper.

http://www.camco.net/img/product/39010_out-B.jpg?fv=FC9CDB1ECE34159820946B81CBDC0B93-15327

Thanks! I will definitely look into that. I'm hoping to find a way to install something like that with reinforcement to take the torque strain off the bumper welds.
Michigan

stu1965

I just put a tongue mounted bike bunk on this weekend. Short vid below

https://youtu.be/I9x81UyupU0

DavidM

Looks good, and as the former owner of that trailer I know that the extra weight on the tongue should be no problem. It was a little light already. That tongue mounted bike rack is a much better solution than trying to reinforce the back bumper and putting it there.

I also note that Stu added an on/off switch on the side of the former break away battery box. Much easier to access than the breaker I installed on the back of the box. I hope he still has that breaker in place. It is needed as LL didn't protect the wire from the battery back to the converter with a fuse or breaker.

David

stu1965

yes, still in place David. I wouldn't remove something that makes sense! (except my brain). Hope you've been well!

Quote from: DavidM on March 16, 2021, 10:26:12 AM
Looks good, and as the former owner of that trailer I know that the extra weight on the tongue should be no problem. It was a little light already. That tongue mounted bike rack is a much better solution than trying to reinforce the back bumper and putting it there.

I also note that Stu added an on/off switch on the side of the former break away battery box. Much easier to access than the breaker I installed on the back of the box. I hope he still has that breaker in place. It is needed as LL didn't protect the wire from the battery back to the converter with a fuse or breaker.

David

PDX David

I reinforced the rear bumper by welding full length piece of aluminum to the bumper and frame, with some gussets for additional strength.

I also added some corner bracing which (not shown in photo) was also welded.

Purpose of all this was to add a spare tire mount (for tow vehicle tire).  Mounting frame also used to hold some folding chairs.

Survived a 6,000 mile trip around Alaska a couple of years ago without any evidence of stress. 

.....David