Another Livin Lite recall blocked exit windows

Started by ADR, June 07, 2019, 11:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADR

Exit windows blocked by awning arm.  2013-2017 some Camplites and Bearcats   659 units

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V307-3486.PDF

MitchB

This one is hilarious, the fix is to remove the stick on exit label and change the window handles from red to black. 
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

Apollo

What they probably omitted was they are changing the window levers to red on other windows. My 21 BHS has the red levers on the windows on the non awning side of the camper.

gbpack

Our 2015 21BHS has red levers only on the window that is blocked by the awning bar, so ours is probably OK.

DavidM

Quote from: gbpack on June 08, 2019, 08:06:48 PM
Our 2015 21BHS has red levers only on the window that is blocked by the awning bar, so ours is probably OK.

Don't the red levers indicate an emergency exit window? Maybe I misread the recall notice but I thought that they were going to change the red to black on the blocked window.

Mine is one of the recall series, but I am not going to bother going through the LL warranty repair to fix it. Witness the cracked tongue disaster.

David

Apollo

Red levers are emergency exit as they also don't have the locking button. If you have red levers on a window blocked by the awning that is part of the recall.

This all much ado about nothing, if you need to get out of camper fast are you really going to take the time to open a window and climb out or are you just going to take 3 steps towards the door.

ADR

Quote from: Apollo on June 08, 2019, 10:20:41 PM

This all much ado about nothing, if you need to get out of camper fast are you really going to take the time to open a window and climb out or are you just going to take 3 steps towards the door.

What if the fire is between you and the door?  I know in our CL 3 of the 4 LP appliances, which are source of many fires in RV's,  are between the bed and the door.

Pinstriper

More to the point, are you going to be looking at what color the handles are, and insisting " no, we have to go out this window because the handles are red !" or just open the nearest and go ?

Also, opening the awning is just about the first thing we do after the jacks are down and the hookups complete.

Honestly, I never noticed the handles were different colors in the first place. To me the only window I wouldn't go out is over the sink.

A better fix would be to upgrade the awning to automated from manual, as those don't have a lower attachment point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADR

Our CL is the first I have owned where all the windows flip out- of the other 13 I've owned none of the windows opened in a way to allow egress until later years when it became mandatory to have at least one that would.
In our Rpod the large window over the couch was designated the emergency egress window- had big stickers stating that fact with arrows ponting to the release handles. 
Never tried- for all I know the window may have just fallen completely out if opened in an emergency.
It was a slider window but had a "not to be used except in emergency" way to pop the whole thing open.

Chappy133

First thing I did with our camper was remove all interior and exterior stickers minus the RVIA seal and the LL.com on the back and that one is on way out too.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

ADR

The large stickers on the Rpod escape window-  well FR used crappy stickers so they fell off on their own in a year or two- no user removal needed ;D

gbpack

Quote from: DavidM on June 08, 2019, 08:48:01 PM

Don't the red levers indicate an emergency exit window? Maybe I misread the recall notice but I thought that they were going to change the red to black on the blocked window.

Mine is one of the recall series, but I am not going to bother going through the LL warranty repair to fix it. Witness the cracked tongue disaster.

David

Correction. David - Scratch my earlier comment about us having red levers on the window with the awning blocking it. I checked ours and we have BLACK levers on that window. My mistake. Thanks!

Popup2012

Got my recall letter today.  In my 16 TBS, all my windows have red handles. This includes the large window over table, blocked window by awning and small kitchen window.

DavidM

I did as well. The recall consists of removing the emergency exit sticker, of which I have none, and putting a black cover over the red handles. Wow, great!.

David

Merlin

And we are supposed to use the "...supplied cut pieces of shrink tube." I didn't get any of that in the mailing and I'll bet no one else did either. The handles on the blocked window on mine are red, so I'll use my own black shrink tube and then send KZ a photo of the "fix" like they asked. I want them to close out the recall on my camper so there won't be any issues with resale someday.
Michigan