Extreme Makeover—‘Lite’ CL Edition

Started by GrampaKilt, May 20, 2019, 09:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrampaKilt

One of life's highlights was driving across the continent to pick up a 2014 14DB from the LL plant in Wakarusa. Priceless were the astonished looks of the workers and brass when they saw my mighty tow vehicle, a 2010 VW Jetta TDI equipped with a WDH installed just the day before by the radical thinking hitchers at Can-Am RV in London, Ontario. Then I saw the kitchen. The flimsy countertop, plastic shallow sink and el cheapo faucet seemed out of step with the LL brand and the kitchens found in other above average TTs I had researched. I noted the generous kitchen storage, but soon realized the compartments were better suited to a bus depot than a galley! What was Scott thinking (rhetorically speaking) installing an undignified and inefficient kitchen into a trailer meant to last a lifetime and priced at a premium to boot? On the way home, I was already planning a kitchen upgrade.

Fast forward to 2018 and I finally began the kitchen reno. Much of the delay was due to a lack of inspired storage ideas. An easy default for me was to make frames and drawers from Baltic birch but no, I had to become fixated on metal frames with wire baskets! For years, I looked and finally noticed 'Antonius' from IKEA. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19876454/  The frames are slightly wider than the doors but the pull-out baskets clear the door nicely. Two baskets fit per storage space. The setup is 21" deep that allows room for wires, hoses, etc. behind the units. I had hoped for mesh baskets, but that wasn't to be.

There are many aspects to this upgrade, so here's a new thread with multiple posts focused on each feature. Now on with the reveal. IMG 1

GrampaKilt

The original countertop (and tabletop) is plastic laminate glued to a thin MDF substrate that sandwiches about 1" of styrofoam. Extremes of temperature were not kind to countertop, lifting the laminate at the edges. Then, the rounded corner of the table edge got bumped (did I do that?) in the soft styrofoam layer which cracked the laminate. Being under tension there, the edge sprang apart. All fixed by using 1/16" aluminum strips for edging (glued on with cyanoacrylate). IMG 2

The new countertop is tooled from a left over piece of 3 cm quartz. (FWIW, I have the tools to cut, grind and polish stone, even some experience...) To maximize space, I lengthened the counter by 2". Providing much needed space to the right of the sink, the corner 'rounds' out into the aisle so that the distance between it and the bathroom wall is the same as the width by the entry door. At 8", the undermount bar sink is almost too deep! Most single lever kitchen faucets are 15"+, too high for this space IMO. I found one 12" H (and the sink) on Amazon. To complete the look, the backsplash is a row of inexplicably inexpensive peel and stick stainless steel subway tiles from Home Depot.ca . IMG 3/4

GrampaKilt

The 2014 14DB did not come with a range hood. Maybe that was a good thing since it seems TT suppliers from this side of the pond can think of nothing better than to make a 12V of version of the ubiquitous 120V builder's special hood. Both are pathetic in performance and appearance.

Overseas, one finds range hoods designed for 'caravans', as they say. I ordered a Camec https://www.camec.com.au/12-volt-rangehood on sale, no less, from Australia and thankful that the $AUS and $CAD are almost at par. Air shipping was a reasonable $50 and since the unit did not come from the US, it was flagged for several dollars of duty by Canada customs. All in, the Camec amounted to $230 CAD. I rationalized it's the price of quality—SS, height of 2.5", LED spots, two 5" squirrel cage fans which vent into a 1.5" round port. Back to NA for a BI vacuum cleaner exhaust cover.

While running a new 12V line to the hood, I added some more USB and 12V socket charging capability along with a convenience shelf. IMG 5

GrampaKilt

IMG 6 The compartment above electrical required little adaptation. With nothing against the rear wall, the baskets can be pushed back leaving about a 3" of room in front to mount a spice rack on the cabinet door. The rack is SS and is a good fit for the door https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01HTV2C4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc .

Due to the bottom lip of the compartments, there is 3" of wasted space under the lower baskets. Solution: A shallow basket hack for lesser-used items. Since the baskets above are easily removed, access is easy.

IMG 7 One has to contend with the wheel well cover in the right bottom compartment.

GrampaKilt

I had planned for a wide, full extension cutlery shelf. The deep sink deep-sixed that idea and resulted in this rather odd-looking 4-story cutlery cubicle contraption (yes, I like alliteration).

IMG 8/9 The bottom cubicle slides outwards, the 3rd can also slide backwards. We are uncertain how to configure the bonus space on the left. Maybe baking pan storage? Your ideas? The cutlery hotel's height meant another shallow basket hack below.

GrampaKilt

Finally, what to do about the inaccessible storage at the far right! No idea seemed suitable until I read of a forum member who had ordered extra cabinet doors from Challenger Door who had made them for LL.

Stacy (Challenger inside sales rep): 'No problem, we can still make one, but the inset won't match because the painted aluminum was supplied by LL.'

GK: 'No problem, I'll just insert the piece cut from the cabinet.'

Stacy: 'You won't be able to do that, the doors can't be disassembled. Sorry.'

GK: 'OK, just send the door with a white inset' (not wishing to explain that I had already taken apart the cabinet door above the sink, peeled off the aluminum and inserted a magnetic white board—no problem.) IMG 10

The one-off 12"x26" door will cost $67 + $25 for packaging + $50 shipping USD. Well worth it! As mentioned in another post, had Scott continued with LL, I believe a new door here would have become de rigueur. IMG 11 (will post new pic once door arrives)

GrampaKilt

A consequence of not wanting to take down the bed everyday. (Acknowledgment: Charles Coushaine truck camper mods.) IMG 12

Merlin

Fantastic set of mods and thanks for the pics.  ;D
Michigan

Diversteve

WOW!!!
Now I am full of ideas.
Thanks for sharing.

MTCamper

Thanks for sharing. Awesome job. Wish you were my neighbor  :)

gibby

The computer monitor stands as tables for the sofa, I think I might use that one.

Good Job
2014 21RBS
2121 F150 Lariat ,  3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4, SuperCrew

Sylvain

Very nice makeover!  The quality of your work is impressive.  Thanks for sharing!

LoneWolf04

This is an amazing kitchen makeover! Have gotten a lot of inspiration from this and glad you shared this.

Just bought my 2013 16DB. I notice your cabinets are deeper than mine, which is unfortunate for me. Not sure if that is a model difference or year difference. Mine are only about 19", which is disappointing because the fridge that is right next to the counter sticks out further. I feel they could have done a 21" deep cabinet with counter top overhang and made it even with the fridge and provided more storage. Not to mention trying to find wire pull out shelves for 18" deep cabinets is slim pickings.

shark24

Great job on the mods. Wish my husband had this gift because there would be a honey do list for him.  :D

GrampaKilt

Many moons ago I promised some pics of a side cabinet door installed to access the dead storage space behind the 45 degree angle of my kitchen cabinets. It turned out the inside of the door was a good place to hang a hardsided, removable garbage can. Alas, I notice that IKEA no longer sells the Antonius wire bins and frame that were just the right size for cabinet door openings (in this model CL). GK