Tire replacement

Started by Frisco, September 07, 2017, 04:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

I need to get new tires
Have a 14DB with 13" wheels.  Looking at Goodyear Marathon or Carlisle. Both are radial.
What's your experience or thoughts ?

Merlin

I would recommend either the Carlisle Radial Trail HD or the Maxxis M8008ST in the 175/80-13 size that fits your camper. Both are well-reviewed and readily available either locally or on Amazon. I would skip the Goodyear Marathon because there are too many reports of failures. That may be just because it's so popular, but maybe not. I have the Maxxis tires on my camper (all Maxxis trailer tires are radial) and like them a lot. If you order them on-line, any local tire store can install them. Be sure to get them balanced when installed.

And, BTW, I went up one size in width when I bought the Maxxis tires, so I'm running 185/80-13 (all 5, including the spare).
Michigan

Capt J-rod

I think Maxxis is probably your best option. Goodyear marathons are either hit or miss. I do not recommend Carlisle anything. I have had multiple failures. I've had good results with marathons, but they are now made in china I think... As suggested get them balanced. You have to make sure the air pressures are good with every trip. The speed rating is also pretty important. If you haven't done so already it is a good time to service bearings and brakes. They don't necessarily need replaced, but clean them and repack them by hand, get all the grease out of the hub an get fresh grease in there. Wash all the brake parts with brake parts cleaner and make sure the drums are not grooved. A light turning at the local shop will bring them back to life. I also always use a torque wrench to make sure they can be loosened on the side of the road. Finally dig out that spare and make sure all is well.

Merlin

Quote from: Capt J-rod on September 07, 2017, 06:29:54 PM
I think Maxxis is probably your best option. Goodyear marathons are either hit or miss. I do not recommend Carlisle anything. I have had multiple failures. I've had good results with marathons, but they are now made in china I think... As suggested get them balanced. You have to make sure the air pressures are good with every trip. The speed rating is also pretty important. If you haven't done so already it is a good time to service bearings and brakes. They don't necessarily need replaced, but clean them and repack them by hand, get all the grease out of the hub an get fresh grease in there. Wash all the brake parts with brake parts cleaner and make sure the drums are not grooved. A light turning at the local shop will bring them back to life. I also always use a torque wrench to make sure they can be loosened on the side of the road. Finally dig out that spare and make sure all is well.

Probable good advice.  ;) Carlisle makes a huge range of qualities (and prices) in their trailer tires, though other forum members like and have the Radial Trail HD. Maxxis makes only one trailer tire line and it seems to be excellent. The Marathons are Chinese made. The new Goodyear Endurance are US made, but are not available in 13 inch.
Michigan

Frisco

Capt. Jrod,  sounds like you do most of your own maintenance.  With 4 tires to change how do you jack up and stabilize your trailer when doing this type of work?
My trailer is stored in a gravel not paved facility.
Thanks

djsamuel

The Carlisle Radial Trail HD are a new design nad have been getting really good reviews.  I have the Radial Trail RH, the previous design, and they've been excellent.  May want to look at the new Goodyear Endurance tires, which replace the Marathons.  Made in the USA and have been getting really good reviews from people who purchased them.

Diversteve

We use the Duro tires on our 14 DBS.
We change them every two years with about 12 to 15k miles.
No problems.

Steve Sanders

I prefer bias ply trailer tires because they don't follow grooves in the road surface as much as radials do. They don't ride as smoothly, but nobody rides in the trailer anyway. They are also easier to visually confirm adequate air pressure since any sidewall bulge indicates low pressure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gibby

Found cracks in our Vail Sport tires this past weekend, replaced them with Westlake radials. What a difference in trailer towing now, no more wagging the dog so to speak.
2014 21RBS
2121 F150 Lariat ,  3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4, SuperCrew

dlb53151

The tires on my 2016 16TBS (tandem axle) are 175/80 R13.  A mechanic at the RV resort we are staying at recommends Sailun tires, so I will check those out.

He also suggested I upgrade the OEM aluminum rims to a bigger diameter, with the same bolt pattern of course.  Has anyone done that?  I see Merlin expanded the tires to 185's for his existing rims so I will do that at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chappy133

Well it happened.  I was looking on line to replace our "Super Cargo" china bomb tires last week.  Waited too long to replace those tires.  The passenger tire delaminated on the Garden State Parkway while headed to camping on the Jersey Shore.  Solid construction on the Livin Lite held up.  The new Goodyear Endurance replacement trailer tires are on order and should be in tomorrow. Anyone have a lead on where and what model number to order to replace the the wheel well cover? TIA.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Chappy133

Also folks do make sure you have the correct equipment if you plan on changing your own tires.  A bottle jack that can lift your trailer enough to get the tire off.  We use 4X4 lumber under the bottle jack to be able to get enough lift.  The proper sized wrench to remove the lug nuts. A torque wrench to proper tighten down the lug nuts when you put them back on.  Know where to properly lift your trailer too.  If you put the jack in the wrong location you can damage the aluminum in your trailer. The equipment needed to change your tire does not come with the camper like your tow vehicle does.  Stay safe. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

Merlin

Whew, glad you are ok. Bummer on the timing just before new tires, though! Here's thread with a promising site for replacement fender skirt. KZ may still know the size for your trailer. And, yes, too many folks lift with the axle and bend it.

https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=788.msg7161#msg7161
Michigan

Merlin

Also, those are big tires!  Do you have the off road package?
Michigan

Chappy133

Yes the off road package. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA