Toyota Tacoma as a TV

Started by Sylvain, June 02, 2020, 07:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

It looks like you have your mind made up, but, for what its worth I'll put in my 10 cents worth (7 cents US).  We just upgraded from a 2010 Nissan Frontier 4L-V6 2WD to a 2019 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L-V8.  We are towing a 21RBS so a bit heavier than your trailer (I believe 3500 lbs curb weight).  We too wanted a 4x4 but more importantly we found our Nissan just didn't cut it especially with the numerous steep mountain passes we must climb in order to get out of the Lower Mainland.  On steep climbs it was downshifting to 2nd and in order to maintain a safe speed the engine was roaring. I feared a transmission failure if we kept it up.  Even on slight grades with a head wind I found that I was constantly giving it more gas.  My gas mileage was terrible as a result.  By the end of the day my leg was aching and being 60ish, the massages don't come as often so the pain lingered.  I haven't gone out with the new truck yet but I am expecting it to perform better than the Frontier.  I really liked the Nissan Frontier and was hoping they would introduce the diesel but no such luck.

rrtrntowing

I too tow a 21RBS (2018 platinum).  I use a 2016 Ford F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost and a towing package.  I went back and forth between a larger V8 and the Ecoboost.  I am sure I made the right choice.  The Ecoboost develops 420 FT/lbs of torque and 400+ HP.  We have pulled through steep mountain passes with no issue.  The tow/haul transmission feature saves my brakes on the steep declines.  I get 11 - 13 mpg when towing (65mph), 18 mpg around town when unhooked and 22 - 24 mpg on the highway when not towing and driving at speed limit or above.  The tow package also has anti sway technology but I use an anti sway tow device so I cant comment on the anti sway software in the system.  I didnt get the 4x4 which I regret but otherwise I am very pleased with the vehicle.  I have 90000 miles on the truck now with no problems so far.  20,000 of those have been towing and again no problems so far.

Sylvain

Thanks for your input guys.  This is very appreciated.

Sylvain

Hello @charliem
We finally traded our Silverado for a 2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road.  I'm happy with the truck, the size is nice. I didn't tow our 13QBB with it yet but i will in July.  I still need to install the brake controller in the truck. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind!  I was wondering if you tow with the transmission in D or do you block it in fourth gear?  Also, do you think it's necessary to add one leaf spring to prevent the back of the truck from sagging too much?

Thanks!

charliem

Sylvain,
Glad you are now a Tacoma owner.
I usually tow in fourth gear. Much easier on the engine and transmission. I monitor the transmission temperature and it rises pretty quickly if I shift up to fifth gear with any sort of incline or headwind.
On the springs, I vaguely remember some factory recall dealing with the rear axle and spring set. I don't remember the details but it occurred in early 2014 and required some shop time. It had to do with wrap up of the rear axle or something. I think they replaced the leaf springs but I'm not sure. FWIW I presently have four leaves in the spring set and it seems fine. I'm not aware of the need to add more leaves for towing.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Sylvain

Ok thank you so much Charlie.  How do you monitor the transmission temp?  Did you add a transmission cooler or is it just the factory setup?

charliem

I use a product called ScanGauge II   
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/scangauge/scangauge-ii-digital-trip-monitor/914192_0_0
or
https://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86/ref=sr_1_2?crid=N3JNXBZHQGCO&dchild=1&keywords=scangauge+ii&qid=1622739162&sprefix=scangauge%2Caps%2C229&sr=8-2

It is important to monitor transmission fluid temperature, especially when climbing mountains. There ore many other monitors on the market but this one works well. The transmission cooler is the one included in the factory towing package.
Have fun this summer.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Sylvain

Thanks again Charlie, your help is much appreciated!  If you don't mind I have a few more questions but they will be the last I promise!  What should the transmission temperature be (ideal and max)?  Also, what is your cruising speed and rpm when towing in fourth gear?

Sorry for all the questions!

Sylvain

charliem

Sorry but it's been too long and memories fade. We didn't get any camping in last year due to Covid so I don't have any recent calibration. I'm thinking 60MPH in fourth runs around 2500 2800 RPM but no guarantees. The transmission temperature will run around 170F without the trailer and will rise when towing or climbing. I've never been able to find a definitive answer on where the limit should be. It seems to be more of a time-temperature product than a short term high temp limit. I usually start watching when it gets above 210F. Just watch it and you'll get an idea of what to expect. Worst case you'll just have to replace the transmission fluid when you get home. Apparently that's what goes bad.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Sylvain

That's great information Charlie.  Thanks again for your help, it's very appreciated!

mpmad81

Get a 6 speed and you're gold!  I think I still need a small lift and a bit stiffer spring to level things out perfectly....

Sylvain

Our Tacoma is a 2nd gen. The 6 speed transmission was introduced in the 3rd gen Tacomas like yours.

Nice set-up.  What's the weight of your trailer?  It must be fairly easy to tow since it doesn't act as a big parachute being a low profile trailer.

mpmad81

Something like 1,700 lbs I think.