Dometic Air conditioner noise and vibration

Started by Fatdog2, May 09, 2017, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

Our 2014 21 BHS has Dometic roof top A/C and it's noisy which is understandable to a point as the fan and compressor unit is in small space. After some research I found a service Bulletin A 32-2B Jun 2012, with Kit SVC Gromment 3314471.016 dyers RV sells the kit. Has anyone tried this? I was going to pull the cover off A/C unit and get the model and serial number to see what year mine was MFR. With the A/C running on low fan we can't hear the TV unless we have it playing through the radio with it turned way up, especially when A/C compressor kicks on and you can feel the vibration of compressor. Kind thought this was normal operating procedure for roof top A/C but I wonder if some of vibration can be reduced.

Here's the links for parts and installation instructions.

http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-a-c-grommet-and-anti-vibration-kit.html
http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadfile/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/3798/

pjcd

I have a 21RBS, the A/C is loud, but I haven't noticed any excessive vibration. I thought that some one posted something about a kit you can buy to quiet down the unit.

Merlin

There is an effective quiet kit for the 9.2K Coleman Mach AC unit. I suspect the 21 footers come with the 13.5K unit and the kit does not fit those. The 9.2K AC unit on my 16 footer  was embarrassing loud outside and very booming inside until I installed the aftermarket quiet kit (new fan, new fan speed control plus some other parts I can't remember). The AC units on RVs are an embarrassment to the manufacturers for their noise and inefficiency. If anyone made a quiet, efficient RV unit that rivaled home AC units those qualities, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Michigan

Fatdog2

I removed the A/C cover and found the unit was built in 2013 according to serial number stickers. It looks like the same type of vibration blocks on refrigerant lines as shown in 2012 vibration kit. Going to leave it alone for now. It just seems like I have to turn up the tv and or radio sound to hear it over the A/C.

Fatdog2

Not sure why the second picture posted upside down? Crazy photo I guess..

djsamuel

I have the same unit and contacted Dometic for the kit.  The sent it to me and it consisted of the rubber dampers you see on your unit as well as new rubber isolators for the compressor mount.  I replaced all of the pieces and really didn't notice an appreciable reduction of noise.  We then had a split occur in the tubing and the A/C unit was replaced with the redesigned Dometic Penguin II with a vertical compressor.  It is a good bit quieter than the older unit, but by no means silent.  We ended up using an external speaker with the TV which helps a lot in our 2013 21BHS.

Fatdog2

Thank you for the update on your unit as I figured it's just the nature of the beast. Having everything in one unit it would be difficult to reduce the fan and compressor noise. I was going to look into a sound bar and replace the speakers in the ceiling. Then in the future when the A/C goes out look into a quieter unit.

PaulJ

This is a little off your topic but has anyone added a wall thermostat so the fan does not have to run all the time?  I am looking into this.

Fatdog2

That would be cool if it did, I look too. Mine is switch control and temp setting is too, as the compressor kicks off once it's cool enough in regards to temp switch setting. The fan runs all the time.