Painting Aluminum roof (Primer first?)

Started by Fatdog2, October 02, 2021, 11:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

Good Morning, I read through the old post on painting aluminum roof. Merlin, I like the idea of the Interlux Interdeck paint. Did you use an aluminum primer before putting down the Interlux? How has the Interlux paint held up? I looked at Total Boat deck paint and it recommends using a primer on aluminum. I'm still reading about the Interlux paint primer requirements. Any advise or recommendations it appreciated.
Thanks, Peter

DavidM

You always need to use a primer like Alodine on aluminum.

David

Merlin

Primer to do it right, but of course I didn't!  It's held up well and is still sticking ok after 6 years. The problem is dirt and various growths like molds and mildews on the paint film. I'm going to clean it up and repaint before next camping season. That Interlux paint is amazing, but I'll look around a bit at other boat paints too.
Michigan

Fatdog2

Thank you guys for the replies and recommendations. Merlin, I haven't heard of Alodine and I will check it out. I have some Rust Oleum Aluminium primer,  but want to make sure I use a top quality primer so it sticks really well.  David, check out Total Boat products they make a deck paint that's a little cheaper in price, and there are probably other deck paints too.