Shower door leaking

Started by Paul, July 15, 2015, 03:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

My wet bath shower door is leaking in the left down corner when I take a shower, I try to avoid pointing the shower head by the door but is that normal? What can I do to fix it? I think one of the rubber on the door might need to be glued or is misplaced not sure
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Paul,

Can you take a photo of the door/rubber area that could be leaking?
Bill

Mitch

I'd stop bathing, it's overrated anyway.

Merlin

Well, so much for a meet-up with Mitch.

And for Paul, any chance the door is warped a bit?
Michigan

rideandfly

Bill

Paul

Quote from: Merlin on July 15, 2015, 05:58:23 PM
Well, so much for a meet-up with Mitch.

And for Paul, any chance the door is warped a bit?

I will check that
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Paul

I have put a bit of caulking to try to glue the rubber (not sure if it's a good idea maybe should have used glue instead) there was a bit that wasn't glued correctly
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

PEIslander

On my Camplite 11FDB the wet-bath door uses a self-adhesive foam strip to create a gasketed seal. At any places where that 'tape' butts end-to-end it looks like it would be vulnerable to leaking. (I'm not sure because we've never taken a shower in there yet). It also seems to me that the 'tape' isn't as durable as it perhaps should be. In that regard I'd suggest it should be possible to find an automotive-grade peel-n-stick gasket that would be a straightforward upgrade.
"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

Paul

Quote from: PEIslander on July 16, 2015, 04:30:18 PM
On my Camplite 11FDB the wet-bath door uses a self-adhesive foam strip to create a gasketed seal. At any places where that 'tape' butts end-to-end it looks like it would be vulnerable to leaking. (I'm not sure because we've never taken a shower in there yet). It also seems to me that the 'tape' isn't as durable as it perhaps should be. In that regard I'd suggest it should be possible to find an automotive-grade peel-n-stick gasket that would be a straightforward upgrade.

Good suggestion, I am not sure yet what I should do, I tried a bit of caulking under the foam strip that weren't glued properly, maybe I should try to put some in between where the tow tape meet? I'll also look into your suggestion. I am also thinking of trying to contact livin lite to have it fixed under warranty but the only problem is the closest livin lite dealer is over 1000km away so they would have to accept that I do it at a local RV dealer, anyone when through this?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Used automotive seal when my exterior door was leaking during heavy rain storms and it fixed the leak. If you use this type of seal, don't get too aggressive with a larger seal like I did. Same size seal would probably work.

Here's the link:

http://livinliteforum.com/index.php/topic,64.0.html
Bill

Paul

Quote from: rideandfly on July 20, 2015, 10:04:09 AM
Used automotive seal when my exterior door was leaking during heavy rain storms and it fixed the leak. If you use this type of seal, don't get too aggressive with a larger seal like I did. Same size seal would probably work.

Here's the link:

It doesn't seem that hard, can you explain me a little bit more how you removed the old one? I see you used some kind of tool not sure what it is?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Quote from: Paul on July 20, 2015, 10:34:07 AM
Quote from: rideandfly on July 20, 2015, 10:04:09 AM

Here's the link:

It doesn't seem that hard, can you explain me a little bit more how you removed the old one? I see you used some kind of tool not sure what it is?

The tool is an air die grinder to remove old adhesive, which is not a gentle way to remove adhesive, but fast.

Would not use that tool on a shower door. Try decal remover aerosol to remove the old adhesive first. On delicate (to me) work, I like to also use a Dremel Tool with a #511E finishing abrasive buff. After removing old adhesive, finish cleaning surface with alcohol, to help adhesive backing on the seal to adhere.

Try to find an adhesive backed seal like the existing seal:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=y4wu7n

Dremel Buffing Wheel:

Bill

Paul

I contacted Don at livin lite and he suggested this : I think most people put a little shower rod & curtain in there to keep water off door. I questioned him on it because I was thinking that since it's a wet bathroom the door should keep the water inside the shower and not leak? Anyway I'll see what he says did anyone did that? 
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

PEIslander

Quote from: Paul on July 20, 2015, 03:24:03 PM
I contacted Don at livin lite and he suggested this : I think most people put a little shower rod & curtain in there to keep water off door.

My wet bath is so small a shower curtain would be impossible. Just to sit on the toilet I have to use a shoehorn & a lot of butter to squeeze my manly he-man shoulders in between the two walls. Any kind of curtain would get torn off just trying to get in let alone wipe the nether region!
"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

Paul

Don replied back to me the following
The silicone caulk that seals door needs to be redone every 90 days or so as "normal maintenance" if you are going to let it get wet
You might put a little caulk where the seals meet at the bottom of the door – that's usually the issue . I did put some caulk there after is email I have also noted that under the door frame there wa some caulk with some gap so I have redone that too I just took picture after I did it. I have also noticed some screw holes with no screw it seem predrilled hole and they've put screw under instead. My caulking job is not really clean but I hope it des the job. I will test and report back tomorrow
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS