QS 6 REAR DECK KITCHEN CHUCK BOX PROJECT

Started by QS61956, January 16, 2017, 08:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QS61956

I had  a very productive weekend working on my rear deck kitchen chuck box project. I will post pictures as it evolves.
The board on top serves two purposes- it will support the rear of a roof top carrier while the front rests on the trailer right above the wheels.
It also will attach to the factory outside table near the door and run full length of the trailer from the door to the rear of the trailer.
Instead of doors on the rear there will be a removable panel that will serve as a 56 x 31 inch table. The whole box will be covered with a large grill cover.

pjcd

That looks really neat, is the box wood, steel or aluminum? Heres a link in regards to weight distribution on trailers, I don't know if it would apply to you or not, ( it was shown on the old forum and is worth watching). keep us up to date with pic's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

QS61956

Thanks for the link. I expect to be well under the 150lbs that I was told was the limit. It is made of 1/2 inch plywood.

QS61956

Applied a sponge painting technique. This will be on the rear panel which becomes a dining table with removable legs and the top panel will get the same treatment and extends the factory table on the side of the trailer. Then about five coats of clear to seal it up real good,

Paul

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

QS61956

Coming along... almost ready to cut the final panels and assemble all of the components and attach it to the deck.

QS61956

Final pieces cut and installed. Getting close to complete. Mounting holes drilled in the kitchen box and the trailer deck. Time for final hardware and cosmetics. I expect to complete this weekend. Found a large grill cover on-line. It fits very well.

Paul

I really like the paint! That make a big difference!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Popup2012

Great project, good to know I am not the only one who has a garage that looks like that.

QS61956

LOL  We are looking forward to getting our Outback and Forester back in there!

QS61956

:)Another productive weekend......finalized all construction items on punch list......chuck box now bolted to the trailer deck.
Several more coats of clear this week. Next weekend...pack all kitchen and other items into the box.

QS61956

Here are some photos of the kitchen boxed packed with the door open and closed. The very top shelf is removable and clamps to the manufacturer's shelf on the passenger side of the trailer. This extended shelf will be used for the electric coffee pot, electric toaster & phone charging station, when we are at a commercial campground with electricity.Once at the campsite is set-up the open shelf will be a place for our 12v fridge and microwave oven if we are at a campground with electricity.

tinkeringtechie

Looks great. What was your tongue weight before and after?

QS61956

I have only towed it three times...had no issues before. I will check this and make sure it is proper before first trip in the spring. My guess is about 100-125  lbs before this modification.

tinkeringtechie

Hopefully it doesn't reduce it too much then. You may need to shift some of your other cargo forward to keep it in the 10-15% range.