3500# axles on 14DB??

Started by GrampaKilt, October 05, 2022, 09:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrampaKilt

So I finally got around to repacking my bearings and ordered seals based on the 2 3000#/1.5" brake pad Dexter axles supposedly on the 14DB. (Yes, I ordered without taking off the tires/drums first.) Well the seals were too small. The brake pads are 2.25" wide and according to all info Dexter, only found on 3.5K/4.4K axles.

So do I have heavier duty drums mated to 3K axles? Or, have 3.5K axles been re-labelled as 3K on my CL? Just wondering what this axle anomaly is all about. Ideas? GK

Merlin

It's probably just that Dexter specs have changed since LL bought the axles many years ago? Back then, maybe the 3000# axles had the larger drums and seals. I know mine has the larger size and it was built 8 years ago.
Michigan

rideandfly

Dexter axles are marked with serial numbers. Once you have the serial number, call Dexter's service department with that serial number and they will email you a build sheet for your axles. Any trailer axle parts dealer can take the Dexter part numbers for bearings and seals cross over to standard bearing/seal part numbers.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/Contact/FAQ/Axles

Hope this helps,

Bill
Bill

gzelna

I need to dig into my 2017 16TBS trailer's brakes at 30k miles driven (that I know of) as I noticed a loss of trailer braking performance the tail end of this last trip. Not urgent as I am taking a 'camping break' after the summer's travels ! They may just need manual adjusting due to pad wear, I just don't know yet. If the pads are trashed, anybody done this 'conversion' and have advice for or against ?
https://www.etrailer.com/p-AKEBRK-35-SA.html

Merlin

Quote from: gzelna on September 09, 2023, 12:51:57 PMI need to dig into my 2017 16TBS trailer's brakes at 30k miles driven (that I know of) as I noticed a loss of trailer braking performance the tail end of this last trip. Not urgent as I am taking a 'camping break' after the summer's travels ! They may just need manual adjusting due to pad wear, I just don't know yet. If the pads are trashed, anybody done this 'conversion' and have advice for or against ?
https://www.etrailer.com/p-AKEBRK-35-SA.html

Yes. After 2 grease seal leaks that ruined the right side non-self-adjusting brakes, I bought and installed all 4 new self-adjusting Dexter brake assemblies from etrailer. It was 4 bolts and electric wire splicing for each wheel. New grease seals and some new grease and an afternoon in my driveway got everything working perfectly again. I highly recommend it if you have low braking power both for the new brakes as well as the complete greasing.
Michigan

gzelna

Slow reply here.. Thanks Merlin, I will tear into the rear axle on the rig this winter (FL) when its tolerable to work outside, haha. I have been consistent about greasing them every 5 to 10k miles through the zerk fitting and not a full disassembly/repack. Have not blown a seal out yet- but as its a 2017 I probably need to replace the grease seals and do a full clean and repack. I'd estimate the trailer has 35k miles on it.