Window leaks

Started by stu1965, November 12, 2020, 12:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

I don't like mineral spirits because of the smell and I'm never sure if there is a slight oily film left. Alcohol is my go-to for final caulking prep. The price increase has me using it very sparingly however!
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Sometimes mineral spirits are needed to clean off residues, but like paint thinners, they leave behind an oily film. Caulking may seem to stick only to fail much sooner than necessary. Recommend going over an area necessarily cleaned with mineral spirits et al. with alcohol to remove that unseen film. As an aside, I'm a big fan of cyanoacrylate glues (Crazy Glue) especially for woodworking. A quick swipe of acetone along a wood joint makes a world of bonding difference. GK

stu1965

raid my russian wife's vodka stash?  :P :P :P

Jonathan

Quote from: Merlin on November 19, 2020, 06:03:42 PM
I don't like mineral spirits because of the smell and I'm never sure if there is a slight oily film left. Alcohol is my go-to for final caulking prep. The price increase has me using it very sparingly however!
Agreed.  Mineral spirits has impurities in it.  It is a cornucopia of leftovers from distillation processes ;) Which may be why it has any oily residue.

stu1965

Last weekend, I removed all the old sealant and applied new self leveling dicor on the entire side where the leak was. This morning, we had a nice squall (complete with 530am tornado warnings), where it rained hard for a good 2-3 hours.....I am happy to report there was no water in the trailer, so I guess it was in fact leaking from the roof.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.  :) :) :)

Merlin

Quote from: stu1965 on November 20, 2020, 07:44:24 AM
raid my russian wife's vodka stash?  :P :P :P

Good to know the vodka worked and you are leakless. When I do mine, though, I'm just going to use "Old Stumpblower" and not raid the good stuff.
Michigan

Jonathan

Ahhhh.  Peace and tranquility has been restored in the Beans' travel trailer.  Well Done!  :-X