Did I kill my batteries/6v golf cart battery source?

Started by FastEddieB, April 09, 2017, 10:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastEddieB

As background, I installed a second 12v "deep cycle" battery on the rear bumper of our 21BHS, and wired it through a switch. I most often keep that in the BOTH position to I have essentially two 12v batteries charging and being drawn from in parallel. There's a good thread on it somewhere that I'll try to find and link to (I'm posting from an iPhone - albeit with a Bluetooth keyboard - so nothing's easy).

Good news: It roughly doubled our battery capacity (natch).

Bad news: Through a comedy of errors, both batteries were allowed to deplete down to zero and to sit that way for a couple days. I have a load tester at home, but not with us.

I know that's theoretically detrimental to battery capacity and longevity, and that seems to be the case. We're boondocking but let our generator run for a few hours which only got the batteries up to 12.4v or so. Yesterday morning we were down to about 11.7v, and solar charging all day on a sunny day only brought it back up to around 12.4. Overnight with moderate furnace usage again about 11.7v this morning.

If my current batteries are hosed, it might be a good time to go to two 6v golf cart batteries in the rear, and maybe a new 12v deep cycle battery on the front.

I know this is old ground on the old forum, but what's the best brand/source for golf cart batteries? We're near Knoxville and there's a Costco there and we're members if that helps.

Googling also showed a Batteries Plus in our area.

Thanks in advance.

FastEddieB

Here's that link:

http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=1941.0

As an aside, posting to the internet from an iPhone is like a singing dog...

...what's amazing is not that it sings well, but that in can sing at all!

DavidM

The theoretical basis for batteries being trashed if left discharged for long is that in a discharged state there is a lot of lead sulfate on the plates. That lead sulfate sloughs off over time (and it doesn't take long), and builds up on the bottom and can't easily be resolubilized when the battery is charged. That causes loss of capacity and ultimately it builds up enough on the bottom to short the battery and then it is really toast.

With that smartass answer behind us, yes golf cart batteries are the best. Unfortunately Costco doesn't sell them, only Sam's. But Batteries Plus has them at a decent price and a big golf cart dealer will also.

David

FastEddieB

Thanks for the explanation. Subjectively, they sure seemed to take a hit from this one oopsie. Funny in that I've routinely recharged dead car batteries and not had them take such a noticeable hit.

I'm running errands today and the Batteries Plus in Knoxville is open Sundays.

Any opinions on best brands/sizes/capacities? Or brands to avoid? I'd like them to fit in my existing Series 24 battery boxes.

charliem

Eddie,

If you're going that route why not 2 GC2s on the back and 2 GC2s on the front. Those plus your solar and you can camp camp off the grid forever. Two medium grade GC2s cost less than a GC12 and have more capacity. Plus each is easier to handle than a GC12. The GC2 may fit your GP24 boxes depending on the box type. Batteries Plus sells Duracells which, while not Trojans, are affordable and probably OK.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Merlin

I use Duracell "deep cycle" group 31 marine batteries because of the reasonable price and availability. They have held up ok so far in both my camper and my cabin. (2 years and 5 years respectively).
Michigan

charliem

Quote from: FastEddieB on April 09, 2017, 10:27:50 AM
We're boondocking but let our generator run for a few hours which only got the batteries up to 12.4v or so. Yesterday morning we were down to about 11.7v, and solar charging all day on a sunny day only brought it back up to around 12.4. Overnight with moderate furnace usage again about 11.7v this morning.
Eddie,
A couple of questions if your cellphone permits. When charging from your gennie were you using the Camplite onboard converter/charger or some other connection method? How big is your solar panel? Were the 12.4V readings taken while the charger was running or after a rest period? It takes a lot of charging and a long time to recharge two batteries from dead. Given the way the trailer is wired the fastest way to charge a deeply discharged battery is by heavy duty jumper cables from your TV. You may just not have given them enough time.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

FastEddieB

More detailed response to follow, but I did just score two Duracell 6 V batteries at Batteries Plus.

Turns out they're taller than are Group 24 but good news is that battery boxes are pretty cheap.

gbpack

Even though you already purchased a couple of GC 6-volt batteries, I just thought I'd mention that as of November 2015 our Costco still sold them. We bought 2 Interstates from them then. I think the cost was around $110 each, if I remember correctly.

FastEddieB

Thanks on the Costco head's up.

These are what I bought from Batteries Plus:

(If photo is blurry, they're 230 a/h)

They had models above and below, but these seemed a good value.

They were $99, but the fellow gave me a 10% discount (almost totally canceled out by Tennessee's usurious 9.25% sales tax!)

I ordered two battery boxes to fit the GC2's. They may arrive Wednesday - I'll update on the install when I get to it.

bryan.a.white

You will like the 6V Duracells, I got the same ones and I have had them for a couple of years. In fact, I just moved them from a Pop-Up trailer to my recently purchased Livin-Lite. Install is shown in the photos. (Ignore my charger lead that is wired in, I had it reversed in the photo.)

I have been maintaining the charge with a Pulse Tech charger that has "desulfation" technology. Keeps them in prime condition and ready to go. I have heard tons of stories from my family and friends who use them on their old batteries and they are brought back to life.

http://www.pulsetech.net/XCPARALLEL-Xtreme-Charge-Parallel-Multi-12V-Battery-Charger-7276.aspx

Bryan

PebblePrincess

Brian what battery box did you use for that setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 8.5' x 28' Quicksilver
Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

bryan.a.white

Quote from: PebblePrincess on April 13, 2017, 11:58:08 AM
Brian what battery box did you use for that setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a NOCO HM426 Dual 6-Volt Commercial Grade Battery Box. I got it on Amazon: It was $95. A little more than the standard issue, but it is a WAY better box. It is rotomolded, like coolers, kayaks, etc. Very rugged. I've had a lot of the regular plastic boxes deteriorate and become brittle, so I decided to got this route. Eventually, I'm going to double up with 4 6v batteries when I go solar.
Bryan

DavidM

Brian:

If you really do camp in one place for long and use the furnace a lot, then double up on your pair of GC batteries now, rather than wait for a solar panel. With the solar panel as a charging source and a single pair of GC batteries to carry you through the night and a day or so of clouds you will be fine.

But I would be very surprised if you needed two pairs of GC batteries, before or after solar. We use something on the order of 15 amp hours daily. A single pair of GC batteries gives you 110 AH of usable capacity (you shouldn't discharge below 50% for best life). That will carry us for about a week.

David