New England and Pa.

Started by pjcd, December 31, 2016, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcd

Almost all our camping has been done in the northeast, and the majority has been in State Campgrounds. With that being said all the state parks have been great, except for some of the public bathrooms. It has been a hit and miss experience, some you wouldn't use on a bet and others were fine. How do your state campgrounds rate?

rideandfly

We like NC and SC State Park Campgrounds, where we camp the most, but we're also from NC. The bathrooms/showers and campgrounds are OK at NC & SC State Parks. 

Around the nation we found South Dakota to have very nice State Park Campgrounds and bathrooms/showers!

Taken while camping at South Mountains SP NC last November:

Taken while camping at Lake Wateree SP SC last week:

Following photos taken while camping at Custer SP SD:

Badlands SD:

Bill

DavidM

Quote from: pjcd on December 31, 2016, 12:17:38 PM
Almost all our camping has been done in the northeast, and the majority has been in State Campgrounds. With that being said all the state parks have been great, except for some of the public bathrooms. It has been a hit and miss experience, some you wouldn't use on a bet and others were fine. How do your state campgrounds rate?

We live in Connecticut and have camped in Ct, Ma, NY, Vt, NH and Maine. We look for rustic state or USFS campgrounds. Joan's criteria is flush toilets, but I am ok with pit toilets so we have done that once or twice but with some grousing about it.

Most have been fine. Here are several of our favorites, not necessarily rated by bathroom facilities:

Austin Hawes State Campground near Riverton, Ct- This almost unknown (except to fly fishermen in the spring) state camground backs up to the Farmington River and allows pets. One of the few that does in Ct. It is 45 minutes from our house so we go there a lot.

Woodford State Park east of Bennington, Vt- This is one of our all time favorites. The campground overlooks a small lake with about a dozen lakeside campsites. We don't make middle of the week reservations and have never been unable to get a lakeside spot.

Tolland State Forest near Otis, Ma- We found this jewel recently. Similar to Woodford with sites overlooking the lake.

Chittenden Brook NF Campground near Rochester, Vt- This is about as rustic as it gets. Two miles of gravel road to get there, manually pumped water and pit toilets. But it is pristine with a half dozen sites overlooking a nice trout brook.

Catskills and Adirondacks- We haven't done too well with these. Always crowded in the summer. Maybe nicer in the fall but they close by Columbus Day.

Anything you like in NE Pennsylvania?

David

pjcd

We've been to the finger lakes about a half dozen times, Sampson State Park, Watkins Glenn both on or near Senica Lake. But Keuka Lake was my favorite. There are too many wineries to count, better bring a DD if you plan on camping up that way....8^)

In Pa. one of my favorite places is Ricketts Glen, its on a small lake, and it has a 5 mile trail that takes you by 20 waterfalls. There's Hickory Run, its nice and theres a 35 mile bike path near by. Bald Eagle State Park is more north central Pa, its on a lake.

Merlin

Quote from: pjcd on January 01, 2017, 12:40:55 AM
We've been to the finger lakes about a half dozen times, Sampson State Park, Watkins Glenn both on or near Senica Lake. But Keuka Lake was my favorite. There are too many wineries to count, better bring a DD if you plan on camping up that way....8^)

In Pa. one of my favorite places is Ricketts Glen, its on a small lake, and it has a 5 mile trail that takes you by 20 waterfalls. There's Hickory Run, its nice and theres a 35 mile bike path near by. Bald Eagle State Park is more north central Pa, its on a lake.

Looks like you win the First Post of 2017 award!
Michigan